joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sensors on my Davis all to be crapping out on me.  At this point, I'm only reliably getting  temp, bp, and wind direction.

I did have it recalibrated a few years ago, but is there a legitimate shelf-life to these when it doesn't make sense to send it back to be fixed and instead spring for a new one?  It's probably 8-9 years old at this point.

The sensors on my Davis all to be crapping out on me. At this point, I'm only reliably getting temp, bp, and wind direction.

I did have it recalibrated a few years ago, but is there a legitimate shelf-life to these when it doesn't make sense to send it back to be fixed and instead spring for a new one? It's probably 8-9 years old at this point.

I've had my Davis for 12 years and had to replace the solar panel and main board. Been robust otherwise

Didn't realize that! Is yours outside??? I thought they had to be mounted inside which is a problem for me when we rent the house (nobody wants to see a camera in the living room even if pointed outside).

Yeah, ours is inside, it looks out onto the back deck.  If you’re renting the place out it seems like that could be an issue unfortunately.

The sensors on my Davis all to be crapping out on me.  At this point, I'm only reliably getting  temp, bp, and wind direction.

I did have it recalibrated a few years ago, but is there a legitimate shelf-life to these when it doesn't make sense to send it back to be fixed and instead spring for a new one?  It's probably 8-9 years old at this point.

Pushing 10 years is a long time for any station. I'm assuming you did the refurb with Davis? I think it's about $100, correct? If your dew is going I'd suggest jumping for the SHT31 now...$44.95 on Scaled Instruments. What's wrong with your wind speed and rain? Have you played with your rain gauge screws to calibrate it?

I'm all for that! :) here's a picture I took earlier of the weather station showing the temp. I don't doubt it's off somewhat. It's not an el cheapo station

Is that one of those stations I see in Lowes? What model is that?

I'm not ruling out that you're in a cold pocket...you probably are. I just thought 32F was a little too extreme.

Does the VPII come with any pole to mount the anemometer? I didn't see it in the images they show.

nope...everything for mounting is separate. It's definitely an expensive hobby.

I wish they had an anemometer-less option. Few have, or are able to, site their anemometer correctly and some don't even care about wind...but everyone wants temp and rain. They could really bring down the cost for a station by just having a temp/hum, bp, rain with FARS option. They do have a temp/hum station, but I think you would need to purchase a console separetely...you may not need the ISS though. The FARS would have to be a separate purchase too. Once you finish piecemealing everything you're betteroff just getting the extra sensors with it.

I use a Hikvision that I got from B&H Photo with iptimelapse on my page. The skycam is the Hikvision and the backyard cam is the Stardot SC. The Stardot is nice, but a little pricey.

http://www.newenglandwx.com/northfield-nh/cam.htm

I have a Davis VP2+ with all of the bells and whistles. I think Ryan at Scaled Instruments has the best deals right now. He has the standard VP2 with fan aspirated shield and new SHT31 sensor for $559 for registered members.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product/davis-6153-wireless-vantage-pro2-with-24-hour-fan-aspirated-radiation-shield/

You get what you pay for, but they're definitely still expensive for some people. You have a pretty cool site to share wx data with though.

Eek yes definitely not cheap... but I would really like that. Could go on my Xmas list. But it looks like that's not Wifi and that even the wireless module goes through a computer? Would really like something that connects to the Internet directly, like this one which I imagine is crap:

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01075RM-Temperature-Humidity-Anywhere/dp/B011VG6YDI/ref=sr_1_50?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1465752002&sr=1-50-spons&keywords=wifi+weather+station&psc=1

EDIT: Saw a website that gave this a really good review... not quite up there with the Davis, but with the price difference, it seems like a good option. Anybody have any thoughts? 

I'm up there now. It's snowing. Just posted a video to Stowe's Instagram.

I hiked up Bolton a little but too muddy to make it past 2600. I would say I saw a sloppy flake or two but can't be sure I wasn't hallucinating. I wish had access to 3k or higher right now.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I hiked up Bolton a little but too muddy to make it past 2600. I would say I saw a sloppy flake or two but can't be sure I wasn't hallucinating. I wish had access to 3k or higher right now.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Drive down to Lincoln Gap and then head up the long trail or hike up the toll rd.

Very impressive that there is snow on Mansfield for June 12.  Only 9 days from the summer solstice.  Obs deck on Mount Washington is white again.  26F at 530pm.  Their record low is 23F.  

Took the Mansfield photo posted earlier and enhanced it to see if it was snowing and it sure looks like it was.

post-268-0-20075100-1465767107_thumb.jpg

Archived