joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid-Atlantic GTG - Please see new Thread

Deck Pic

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually only post in the "What's the weather where you are" topic, but I do it daily with my backyard weather data. I have been around for years. I would love to meet up in Rockville on Sat July 30  my birthday is July 29 by the way. I am up for just about any location, as long as I can have a beer. Thanks for setting this up. I will try and check back here when I get the chance. Walrus - Gaithersburg

We could also do a barbecue at someone's house, but don't want it to turn into a who has the biggest house brag thread

I'd think there'd be a pretty big benefit to having wait staff available rather than somebody hosting (especially if the group is large enough). 

We could also do a barbecue at someone's house, but don't want it to turn into a who has the biggest house brag thread

I have nothing planned in July at all. Should be no problem for me. BWW is fine but it is pretty loud in the bar. Not so much from crowds but the design.

I'd think there'd be a pretty big benefit to having wait staff available rather than somebody hosting (especially if the group is large enough). 

While I'm not closed off to other suggestions, I think the following criteria makes the most sense in terms of accommodating the travel needs of the most people, while providing a good social experience for what potentially could be a sizable group.

- Within 5 blocks of a Red or Green line Metro stop in the Maryland suburbs of DC

- Easy parking

- Large place with reasonably priced food/beverage.  Perhaps a private room or section with dedicated wait staff

- Saturday mid to late afternoon start time.  Perhaps officially 3:30 - 7?  Will allow people to have their mornings and evenings free.  Those who want to keep the party going are free to do so.

To the extent people want to make suggestions, keeping the above criteria in mind, I am all ears.

The Rockville arm of the red line is probably the best zone to look in as Matt said. 

There's a decent amount of places that are metro-able in that area. The other side of the red line I guess is also in play but also a bit more seedy in parts. The Rockville area plan sounds good to me. 

I'm sure there are some non-chains that might fit the bill but I'd have to look closer. 

We just need a place and location. I've never been to that BWW.  I just threw it out there because it is close to a metro. There are probably places that are better.  We need the MD crew to make suggestions.

The White Flint stop also has some options - like a Chili's. Or I guess we could just rent a giant party bus. 

I've been to Rockville Town Center more than a hundred times and I live right by White Flint Metro station. As for Rockville Town Center-- Buffalo Wild Wings could be ok. Gordon Biersch has a large bar and bar-seating area that could work for a large group Saturday afternoon into the evening. They probably have a better range of food and drink offerings than BWW. There's a middle couch section of La Tasca that can be reserved, which could accommodate a medium group (12 people was fine for an event I reserved a few years ago). 

As for White Flint station-- not Chili's. It's kind of a far walk anyway :). There are multiple better locations at the Pike and Rose development (Stella Barra Pizzeria, Summer House, Carluccio's, Del Frisco's, City Perch), which is a short walk from the White Flint stop. Stella Barra Pizzeria would work pretty well for a Saturday afternoon into evening. The front area is a bar that opens to the outdoor seating. Summer House is more expensive, but could be a good option as far as good service with a variety of food/drinks. 

We just need a place and location. I've never been to that BWW.  I just threw it out there because it is close to a metro. There are probably places that are better.  We need the MD crew to make suggestions.

I'm practically in PA, don't get down to the suburbs of DC much... so I have NO IDEA what is around there. 

I've been to Rockville Town Center more than a hundred times and I live right by White Flint Metro station. As for Rockville Town Center-- Buffalo Wild Wings could be ok. Gordon Biersch has a large bar and bar-seating area that could work for a large group Saturday afternoon into the evening. They probably have a better range of food and drink offerings than BWW. There's a middle couch section of La Tasca that can be reserved, which could accommodate a medium group (12 people was fine for an event I reserved a few years ago). 

As for White Flint station-- not Chili's. It's kind of a far walk anyway :). There are multiple better locations at the Pike and Rose development (Stella Barra Pizzeria, Summer House, Carluccio's, Del Frisco's, City Perch), which is a short walk from the White Flint stop. Stella Barra Pizzeria would work pretty well for a Saturday afternoon into evening. The front area is a bar that opens to the outdoor seating. Summer House is more expensive, but could be a good option as far as good service with a variety of food/drinks. 

There is also Quincy's South Bar and Grille near White Flint that I like to frequent. Always a good atmosphere with good food.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Once we get a firmer idea of number of attendees, that might help to pick a spot.

Yeah. I am gone for one week this summer and they scheduled it for that week. Message received...

I'm not opposed to revisiting the date.  I picked the date that seemed to work best for the most people.  Also it had to work for Always in Zugzwang since it is was his idea, and me as well since I am kind of spearheading it.  

I'm not opposed to revisiting the date.  I picked the date that seemed to work best for the most people.  Also it had to work for Always in Zugzwang since it is was his idea, and me as well since I am kind of spearheading it.  

I was kidding (just disappointed I miss another chance to meet a bunch of you face to face).

• 2 weeks later...

Location decided yet? Ground rules for conversation?

Will we see PR type discourse live when we gtg? :P

Religion, politics and sports convo is all i talk about.  Eff weather.  Also you better know everything about Tay-Tay

Archived