wigl5l6k
Winter 2016/2017 because its never too early

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

salient point ...

i think the previous February stoked some expectations?

BOS is running a pretty big surplus for snowfall going back quite a bit longer too...we've obviously discussed it before on how we are probably "due" for something like the 1980s...maybe not quite that dystopian for snow lovers, but something resembling it anyway.

But just to harken back to the point in the nearer term...you had the nadir in 2011-2012 in BOS...literally tenths away from a new futility record. But you can't find much terrible surrounding it. The worst season since 2007 other than that 2011-2012 disaster was 35.7" in 2009-2010. Bad (and it seemed worse the way it happened), but nothing close to a true gut-job of a winter. Of course, there's also a record snowfall season...something we were quite skeptical would happen so soon after 1995-1996...and multiple other seasons over 60" in BOS including 81" in 2010-2011. Non-natives won't be shedding many tears for the Boston snow-lovers any time soon.

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

BOS is running a pretty big surplus for snowfall going back quite a bit longer too...we've obviously discussed it before on how we are probably "due" for something like the 1980s...maybe not quite that dystopian for snow lovers, but something resembling it anyway.

But just to harken back to the point in the nearer term...you had the nadir in 2011-2012 in BOS...literally tenths away from a new futility record. But you can't find much terrible surrounding it. The worst season since 2007 other than that 2011-2012 disaster was 35.7" in 2009-2010. Bad (and it seemed worse the way it happened), but nothing close to a true gut-job of a winter. Of course, there's also a record snowfall season...something we were quite skeptical would happen so soon after 1995-1996...and multiple other seasons over 60" in BOS including 81" in 2010-2011. Non-natives won't be shedding many tears for the Boston snow-lovers any time soon.

heh :) folks should look on the bright side ... 

it's an 'a-moral' golden era (possibly) for snow if we think about it in real physical terms.  we choke the crap outta the atmosphere and raise the temp, ...ultimately, surplus water vapor, and for a couple few decades before it can get out of reach, we bask in winters with surplus moisture for snow bombs. 

hahaha

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, uncle W said:

the White Christmas in December 1961 was the highlight of that winter in NYC...February 62 had frequent snows but were on the light side...The Ash Wednesday storm just missed to the south and Brooklyn picked up an inch of wet snow and the city had major coastal flooding...

The big storms of 1960-61 convinced my dad to buy a snowblower - single stage machine with all-metal wheels.  Then 61-62 hardly brought any storms worth cranking up the thing, except for the pre-Christmas event, and 62-63 was worse.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The big storms of 1960-61 convinced my dad to buy a snowblower - single stage machine with all-metal wheels.  Then 61-62 hardly brought any storms worth cranking up the thing, except for the pre-Christmas event, and 62-63 was worse.

Shoulda been in Maine for those winters.

Same for mby just a few miles from you at the time. Bottom line is me being the oldest did not have an option to not shovel so the snowblower in subsequent winters didn't help much. Remember the late March storm (1968 or 1969?) when Phil Rizzuto lost part of a finger trying to clear his blower. I was home nursing broken ribs from a car accident but I did get off my butt and blow. Dad had a major heart attack a year later and we never let him shovel once guys started dropping at a much higher rate than nowadays.

53 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Same for mby just a few miles from you at the time. Bottom line is me being the oldest did not have an option to not shovel so the snowblower in subsequent winters didn't help much. Remember the late March storm (1968 or 1969?) when Phil Rizzuto lost part of a finger trying to clear his blower. I was home nursing broken ribs from a car accident but I did get off my butt and blow. Dad had a major heart attack a year later and we never let him shovel once guys started dropping at a much higher rate than nowadays.

March 29, 1970, Easter Sunday - my wife-to-be and family nearly froze at the sunrise (hidden by gathering overcast) service held at Wanaque Reservoir dam, though they got home before the flakes arrived.  We had 10-11" of mid-20s pow, nice for late season skiing at Great Gorge.

49 minutes ago, weathafella said:

it could have been 1967?...there was a weird storm in early March 1969...NYC missed out on the heavy snow...I believe Atlantic City got a foot but the weird part was Port Jervis NY and Matamoras Pa got 30" from that storm...

On NOWdata, do you guys know if they omit the year completely if for whatever reason the seasonal snowfall total is marked with a "M" for missing? In other words, in a 30 yr normal...if there are 3yrs marked with a "M", then If I run a 30 yr average for snow, only 27 yrs worth of snowfall are calculated correct?  For some reason I see monthly snowfall for certain sites, yet the seasonal total has a "M."

16 hours ago, uncle W said:

it could have been 1967?...there was a weird storm in early March 1969...NYC missed out on the heavy snow...I believe Atlantic City got a foot but the weird part was Port Jervis NY and Matamoras Pa got 30" from that storm...

The biggest March 1967 storm was right around the equinox (20-21?), after the St. Patties clipper (windblown SN+ at temps dropping from 13° to 8° on 3/17.  Prior to moving to Maine, I'd have thought that combo to be impossible.)  It was also after the frigid 3/18 winds, NYC's latest-in-season day that failed to rise above 20.  Then they got the 10" snowfall. 

And I'm drawing a total blank on an early March event in 1969.  We got about 18" with huge backside winds and drifts from the Lindsay storm and 4" mush from the late Feb mega-dump, but I can't recall anything significant after that. 

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The biggest March 1967 storm was right around the equinox (20-21?), after the St. Patties clipper (windblown SN+ at temps dropping from 13° to 8° on 3/17.  Prior to moving to Maine, I'd have thought that combo to be impossible.)  It was also after the frigid 3/18 winds, NYC's latest-in-season day that failed to rise above 20.  Then they got the 10" snowfall. 

And I'm drawing a total blank on an early March event in 1969.  We got about 18" with huge backside winds and drifts from the Lindsay storm and 4" mush from the late Feb mega-dump, but I can't recall anything significant after that. 

the early March 1969 storm from the NYC News Weather Almanac for 1970...

A freak noreaster on March 2-3, 1969 dropped a foot of snow on southern New Jersey and portions of Long Island...While the metropolitan area received only 2"...But superimposed upon this storm system was another moist upper air stream...This caused a 30 mile wide band of heavy snow that extended from Warren County in NJ to Columbia county in NY...Port Jervis NY got 33" but Liberty NY got only 1"...

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

sounds like something to the likes of 12/26/10.  The jackpot area due to a deformation band with srn NJ due to the strong lower level WAA. Maybe NYC suffered being in some sort of massive dry slot.

there was a heavy snow warning the day before so this storm was a gigantic bust for me....The only weather info back then came from noaa weather radio or TV unless you worked for the weather bureau...

3 hours ago, uncle W said:

the early March 1969 storm from the NYC News Weather Almanac for 1970...

A freak noreaster on March 2-3, 1969 dropped a foot of snow on southern New Jersey and portions of Long Island...While the metropolitan area received only 2"...But superimposed upon this storm system was another moist upper air stream...This caused a 30 mile wide band of heavy snow that extended from Warren County in NJ to Columbia county in NY...Port Jervis NY got 33" but Liberty NY got only 1"...

Our place in northern Morris County probably was missed/grazed by both areas of snowfall, so I feel less foolish for not remembering.

47 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Our place in northern Morris County probably was missed/grazed by both areas of snowfall, so I feel less foolish for not remembering.

I remember the busts and the surprises and that one was a biggie...just after that storm I failed my draft physical so it wasn't a total loss...

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

sounds like something to the likes of 12/26/10.  The jackpot area due to a deformation band with srn NJ due to the strong lower level WAA. Maybe NYC suffered being in some sort of massive dry slot.

another way to bust...cannot wait for that scenario to play out back home lol

31 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I have been busy watching youtube forecasts for the upcoming winter and it sounds like big doings for interior zones...like central pa up through ny state into western northern new england...that could be ok for my area if enough cold air is in place before the changeovers

We really only have had a drier period. I don't see how a small region's dry conditions have any say at all for winter precip. The powers that govern winter patterns are large scale features. If Hermine was like 150miles to the NW...a lot of the area probably would have been bailing out their basements. 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

We really only have had a drier period. I don't see how a small region's dry conditions have any say at all for winter precip. The powers that govern winter patterns are large scale features. If Hermine was like 150miles to the NW...a lot of the area probably would have been bailing out their basements. 

This notion that the dry summer is going to lead to a lame winter is stupid.

I mean, maybe the winter will suck....that isn't my point, but it won't be because severe season has sucked even more than usual, and the tropics have blown (pun intended) for about the 12th consecutive season.

Archived