Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter 2016/2017 because its never too early

Ginx snewx

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It did produce prolific snow BTW on the west side...parts of Ohio had over 40 inches of snow while it was raining in BUF. Pittburhg got over 30 inches of snow even....how weird is that...Buffalo, NY is raining for a lot of the storm while Pittsburgh is getting a blizzard with temps down near 10F. I think there were below 0F temps in Nashville or somewhere around there too....that's completely insane for November.

i would pay ...large sums of money to see that happen between Worcester and 'PF

AH hahahahahahah

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

i would pay ...large sums of money to see that happen between Worcester and 'PF

AH hahahahahahah

Obviously not to that scale but there was an event a couple years back where GFL-RUT-DDH-LEB-KDendrite-LEW snowed 4-9" while we got 0.3" of rain.  

One of those H85 0C events where you needed the dynamic cooling so you are left with a rain shield and a blue snow pocket in the middle where the best lift is occurring.

We've done that to an extent in 2010...raining at 4,000ft here (and all the way to Caribou, ME) while NYC gets 20" of paste. 

I don't think those types of storms are *all* that uncommon...I feel it happens a lot more down south with cut offs snowing SW and raining to the north.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Obviously not to that scale but there was an event a couple years back where GFL-RUT-DDH-LEB-KDendrite-LEW snowed 4-9" while we got 0.3" of rain.  

One of those H85 0C events where you needed the dynamic cooling so you are left with a rain shield and a blue snow pocket in the middle where the best lift is occurring.

We've done that to an extent in 2010...raining at 4,000ft here (and all the way to CAR) while NYC gets 20".

..yeeeeah, but in the other paradigm...  we're talking 30" of wind driven wonderment versus 3" of wind swept rain ... and the rub?  when the rain part is in the mountains...  

most importantly, where you are - J/k.  just sayin'

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

..yeeeeah, but in the other paradigm...  we're talking 30" of wind driven wonderment versus 3" of wind swept rain ... and the rub?  when the rain part is in the mountains...  

most importantly, where you are - J/k.  just sayin'

Haha that sounds like Feb 2010.  Honestly.  We had like 2-3" of rain in VT/NH/ME while NYC area gets a full-on blizzard.

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I thought about 1950 but it was so far west that I didn't include it...but you're right that it certainly fit the "Exotic cutoff" theme that memories of Dec 1992 conjure up.

It did produce prolific snow BTW on the west side...parts of Ohio had over 40 inches of snow while it was raining in BUF. Pittburhg got over 30 inches of snow even....how weird is that...Buffalo, NY is raining for a lot of the storm while Pittsburgh is getting a blizzard with temps down near 10F. I think there were below 0F temps in Nashville or somewhere around there too....that's completely insane for November.

The 1950 Apps Gale is my earliest wx memory, watching the trees waving wildly from our back porch until tops began breaking out and dad said it was time to go inside.  That storm, though almost rain-free at our NNJ home, vies with the icy winds of 12/31/62 for the strongest I've experienced.  The earlier event toppled more trees, but then the ground wasn't frozen like in '62.

Though I'd never even been in VT, I'd begun downhill skiing and Ski Magazine had an article on the 1969 post-Christmas storm, citing the owner of Bromley Mt as being angered by VT DOT closing roads while Manchester remained accessible "for all but a few hours" - recipe for a real mess if DOT had not acted.  The article talked about 50" snowfall in the southern Greens and skiers romping on the lower slopes while the upper ones were blasted by gusts to 60 building 30-ft snowdrifts.

Another "left turn in NNE" storm came in my first December in Maine, 1973.  We had 4" snow late on the 16th that was just changing to IP as I got home from my job at the pizza shop.  On the 17th came moderate RA and mid 30s, becoming heavy in late afternoon as temps rocketed to 57 - 3" RA that day.  When I heard about the ice in SNE and NYC temps in the 20s, I called my folks and found that they had 15° with zr/dz while I was still 56° in BGR.  Not often that it's 41 degrees milder in Maine than in NJ.

18 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The 1950 Apps Gale is my earliest wx memory, watching the trees waving wildly from our back porch until tops began breaking out and dad said it was time to go inside.  That storm, though almost rain-free at our NNJ home, vies with the icy winds of 12/31/62 for the strongest I've experienced.  The earlier event toppled more trees, but then the ground wasn't frozen like in '62.

Though I'd never even been in VT, I'd begun downhill skiing and Ski Magazine had an article on the 1969 post-Christmas storm, citing the owner of Bromley Mt as being angered by VT DOT closing roads while Manchester remained accessible "for all but a few hours" - recipe for a real mess if DOT had not acted.  The article talked about 50" snowfall in the southern Greens and skiers romping on the lower slopes while the upper ones were blasted by gusts to 60 building 30-ft snowdrifts.

Another "left turn in NNE" storm came in my first December in Maine, 1973.  We had 4" snow late on the 16th that was just changing to IP as I got home from my job at the pizza shop.  On the 17th came moderate RA and mid 30s, becoming heavy in late afternoon as temps rocketed to 57 - 3" RA that day.  When I heard about the ice in SNE and NYC temps in the 20s, I called my folks and found that they had 15° with zr/dz while I was still 56° in BGR.  Not often that it's 41 degrees milder in Maine than in NJ.

All the local COOPS were in the 20-30" (Mountain and Valley ones both).   The Peru VT COOP (Bromley is in Peru) had 27" over those few days-they may have missed a day reporting, its hard to read those damn things sometimes. So probably is possible some higher elevations had 4ft--maybe 2500ft+

As most know a pretty epic month---pretty much statewide 3ft-4ft snowpack in VT by late DEC.

52 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

All the local COOPS were in the 20-30" (Mountain and Valley ones both).   The Peru VT COOP (Bromley is in Peru) had 27" over those few days-they may have missed a day reporting, its hard to read those damn things sometimes. So probably is possible some higher elevations had 4ft--maybe 2500ft+

As most know a pretty epic month---pretty much statewide 3ft-4ft snowpack in VT by late DEC.

Yeah that was a great December for NNE and even interior SNE. 

I think december 1970 the very next year has it beat though. 

50 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I found this pic of Burlington, VT in December 1970....those are some impressive snow piles and banks. Definitely indicative of a great month.

I think you can see Jerry's old Chevy Impala parked on the far left...he was taking a weenie trip:

Burlington_VT1970_01_2000.jpg

December 1970 was disappointing in NYC...A mid month event was mostly rain in the city...There was two sleet and light snow events just before Christmas...There was some snow and ice on the ground Christmas morning...There was a near miss to the south 12/26...January 1st had the only snowstorm that winter but it was less than 7"...70-71 was very cold until the second week in February...February 71 had a lot of snow north and west of the city including a storm in early March...April had a big noreaster with snow...NYC recorded a little over 15" for the season but places like Port Jervis NY had storm after storm...

19 minutes ago, uncle W said:

December 1970 was disappointing in NYC...A mid month event was mostly rain in the city...There was two sleet and light snow events just before Christmas...There was some snow and ice on the ground Christmas morning...There was a near miss to the south 12/26...January 1st had the only snowstorm that winter but it was less than 7"...70-71 was very cold until the second week in February...February 71 had a lot of snow north and west of the city including a storm in early March...April had a big noreaster with snow...NYC recorded a little over 15" for the season but places like Port Jervis NY had storm after storm...

1970-1971 remains the snowiest winter on record for quite a few NNE locations...and even in SNE it was prolific at times, though not to the extent as up north. December 1970 remains the snowiest December on record at BOS with 27.9".

Very few thaws that winter and the ones that we had were quite brief. Thus it was a huge snow pack winter.

41 minutes ago, uncle W said:

Strange; Newark, NJ recorded 23.6" for that winter with 13" in January and New Brunswick, NJ 23" for the winter with 12" in January. Must be the south miss you referenced on 12/26. EWR/NYC disparity must be due to events w/ the R/S line in close proximity. Either way, January 1971 looks like a very cold and snowy month for EWR southwestward. Mean temperature for January 1971 at New Brunswick was 25F and change with about a foot of snow. Not bad.

40 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

Strange; Newark, NJ recorded 23.6" for that winter with 13" in January and New Brunswick, NJ 23" for the winter with 12" in January. Must be the south miss you referenced on 12/26. EWR/NYC disparity must be due to events w/ the R/S line in close proximity. Either way, January 1971 looks like a very cold and snowy month for EWR southwestward. Mean temperature for January 1971 at New Brunswick was 25F and change with about a foot of snow. Not bad.

many disappointments that winter...there were two wet snowfalls north and west of NYC in February...Port jervis NY was in the news when a roof collapsed from heavy wet snow...NYC had a few wet flakes mixed in with heavy rain and 35 degrees...The early March storm started as snow but quickly changed to rain in the city...The rain changed to snow the next day and ended after 2" accumulated...a foot or more accumulated north of the city...April 71 had a huge noreaster with heavy rain mixed with wet snow at times...there was a little coating of wet snow in the city and more north and west...

10 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

1970-1971 remains the snowiest winter on record for quite a few NNE locations...and even in SNE it was prolific at times, though not to the extent as up north. December 1970 remains the snowiest December on record at BOS with 27.9".

Very few thaws that winter and the ones that we had were quite brief. Thus it was a huge snow pack winter.

That was number 2 all time here, 144.90" that season, I think i see my dads Chevy 2 station wagon in that picture..............lol

1970-71 from the Daily News weather almanac from 1971...

Albany NY...112.5"

Dobbs Ferry NY...38.9"

Lake Placid NY...171.2"

NYC...15.5"

Port Jervis NY...64.8"

Riverhead NY...21.4"

Atlantic City...11.4"

Long Branch NJ...12.7"

Trenton...22.7"

Norfolk Ct...139.3"

Hartford CT...57.3"

Bridgeport CT...25.0"

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

That was number 2 all time here, 144.90" that season, I think i see my dads Chevy 2 station wagon in that picture..............lol

What's number 1 up there? I think in Maine '68-'69 takes #1 at some stations. Or was it '07-'08?

10 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I have 61-62

Yeah that was a huge winter up there too...though I'm kind of surprised it beat out both '70-'71 and '68-'69 there. In downeast Maine, '62-'63 might actually be an even bigger winter, but your area was prob a bit too far west to completely jackpot in that year.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that was a huge winter up there too...though I'm kind of surprised it beat out both '70-'71 and '68-'69 there. In downeast Maine, '62-'63 might actually be an even bigger winter, but your area was prob a bit too far west to completely jackpot in that year.

61-62 was 164.30, 68-69 was 120.20, Great seasons, This was top 5 here,

Record Snowfall Season-1. 1961-62- 164.30"

Record Snowfall Season-2. 1970-71- 144.90"
Record Snowfall Season-3. 2007-08- 137.80"

Record Snowfall Season-4. 1951-52- 128.20"

Record Snowfall Season-5. 1968-69- 120.20"

11 hours ago, uncle W said:

many disappointments that winter...there were two wet snowfalls north and west of NYC in February...Port jervis NY was in the news when a roof collapsed from heavy wet snow...NYC had a few wet flakes mixed in with heavy rain and 35 degrees...The early March storm started as snow but quickly changed to rain in the city...The rain changed to snow the next day and ended after 2" accumulated...a foot or more accumulated north of the city...April 71 had a huge noreaster with heavy rain mixed with wet snow at times...there was a little coating of wet snow in the city and more north and west...

The ice storm of Dec. 11-12, 1970 in NNJ is probably 3rd worst of my experience, about the same as Dec. 1983 in Ft. Kent.  Both are several orders of magnitude behind the top 2, 1998 and 1953.  Dec. 1970 dumped 57.0" at the Farmington co-op, tops for that month and leading to their #2 winter with 154.0", just 10" behind 68-69.  (61-62??  My LEW data shows 51-52 in 2nd with 128.3" and 61-62 just over 100".  68-69 is 5th but with 67" in Feb, )  The April 1971 storm dumped 6-9" around our area in NNJ.  I was driving home from my evening classes at FDU-Teaneck during the worst of it, and when I turned off the 4-lane I couldn't get my 3-on-the-tree Nova out of 3rd gear - the slush had packed into the linkage.  Fortunately, the engine heat was sufficient to melt things out and 5 minutes later it all worked.

Despite the deluge and floods of 12/69, the month's 41.0" rank 5th for Farmington Decembers.

Archived