Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2016/2017 because its never too early

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think we have a better shot of -NAO blocking this year despite a possible weak Nina.  Maybe not prolonged, but I think the odds are better than previous years.  

Why, more lax solar?

I'm not sure why people speak of weak la nina as though its negative....weak ENSO is good.

My preferred ENSO states in descending order are:

1 Weak el Nino

2 Weak la Nina

3 Mod Nino

4 Neutral

5) Mod Nina

6) Strong Nino

7) Strong Nina

November 1995 and 2010 had a very negative nao on average...both winters got off to a great start...July and August had a very negative nao on average but the first part of September started positive...It is negative again and forecast to drop near the lowest point this year before rising again...Hopefully it continues into the winter...

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/norm.nao.monthly.b5001.current.ascii.table

4 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Why, more lax solar?

I'm not sure why people speak of weak la nina as though its negative....weak ENSO is good.

My preferred ENSO states in descending order are:

1 Weak el Nino

2 Weak la Nina

3 Mod Nino

4 Neutral

5) Mod Nina

6) Strong Nino

7) Strong Nina

I mean negative in a NAO sense. Ninas usually promote more of a progressive nature to the mid and higher latitudes. I agree a weak ENSO regime in general is good for us. Of course we can still have plenty of blocking in Ninas like the 60s showed us. 

20 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I mean negative in a NAO sense. Ninas usually promote more of a progressive nature to the mid and higher latitudes. I agree a weak ENSO regime in general is good for us. Of course we can still have plenty of blocking in Ninas like the 60s showed us. 

I'm not too worried about that given the futile nature of this cold event, coupled with the decaying background of the most intense el nino on record.

4 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm not too worried about that given the futile nature of this cold event, coupled with the decaying background of the most intense el nino on record.

actually decent logic here (seein' as you never are - no j/k...) 

seriously though, the pattern et al was commented a few times by myself and others I had conversation with on this social media and outwardly, ...how the pattern was atypical globally during the span of the warm ENSO.  Typical climate markers for warm ENSO events - certainly when considering how potent this one was - were registered with nominal impact; less than the same impacts as even weaker events of lore. 

in shorter words, ...where the hell was the NINO affect?  

sure there was some correlators popping up here in there... but nothing like California's 1982 "Pineapple Express" or Darwin hell zones ... or etc etc... Though we did have some heat this summer from time to time, we should have challenged the very endurance of man in NE U.S.; yet if anything... kept finding clever ways to fall short of the governing signal's warning cards.  

I advanced the [impertinent] jest a while ago that the global atmosphere is warmer now (GW etc) than that prior to and during NINOs of middle last century.  You can see this outright with reanalysis products  ...such that a warmer world weakens the total gradient during warmer events. Less gradient, less atmospheric response - pretty simple arithmetic there actually.  I think it's an interesting supposition - but perhaps I represent a the only voice in the chorus.  heh.  

I think due to the neutral conditions the northern stream and southern stream will be equally active.  We will have some warm storms, but by in large the northern stream will remain strong and more active, allowing the potential for more miller B snowstorms that go from NJ to the benchmark.  Some of them could be massive snowstorms, that may in fact influence the coastal plain more so than inland.  Just my opinion.

I think due to the neutral conditions the northern stream and southern stream will be equally active.  We will have some warm storms, but by in large the northern stream will remain strong and more active, allowing the potential for more miller B snowstorms that go from NJ to the benchmark.  Some of them could be massive snowstorms, that may in fact influence the coastal plain more so than inland. Just my opinion.

Interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll gladly lose to ORH in exchange for banishing the pixie dust CJSs.

So sick of seeing Scooter snort lines off of a hairy, barren and blistered P town bum

Lets take some power lines/branches down and crack some backs.

Place a damn CF on route 128...just like the ones we used to know.

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'll gladly lose to ORH in exchange for banishing the pixie dust CJSs.

So sick of seeing Scooter snort lines off of a hairy, barren and blistered P town bum

Lets take some power lines/branches down and crack some backs.

Place a damn CF on route 128...just like the ones we used to know.

Not in this new climo regime. 

Archived