Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2016/2017 because its never too early

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Don't forget  wet snow globs up and piles up when pushed and plowed while more powdery snow is easily pushed aside. Wet snow is definitely more difficult to deal with.

I've yet to have a snowfall so wet that my snowblower wouldn't easily handle it, as long as I don't try to move too fast.  The one candidate, late Feb 2010 when 10.7" snow had 2.68" LE (4:1 mashed potatoes) came when I had no mechanical aids beyond a snowscoop.  That one also came with my driveway thawed an inch or so and with 1.1" cold rain to boot, and moving it was not fun.  The bottom of the scoop digging in (and occasionally grading) the driveway material only made a bad situation worse.

In looking at my SWE records, I was surprised how little difference there was between the ratios at coastal plain Gardiner and foothills CAD-capital New Sharon.  (Ft. Kent was different, though not by a huge amount.)  The hills dam the cold at low elevations while the milder air probably streams overhead, producing frequent low-ratio snow even at temps well under 32.  Perhaps the best examples came on VD2007, 15.5" of 8.6-to-1 stuff at single digit temps, and Jan. 2015, 20.0" of 9.2-to-1 at similar temps, the latter with high winds to help settle things.

Average ratios for events 4"+ and 10"+, Ft. Kent (9.7 winters), Gardiner (13 winters), and New Sharon (18 winters.)  Numbers in parentheses are number of storms.

Ft. Kent:  4"+: 11.62 (107); 10"+: 12.06 (24)

Gardiner:   4"+: 10.21 (92); 10"+: 10.69 (20)

New Sharon:   4"+: 10.81 (131); 10"+: 10.63 (31)

2 minutes ago, stadiumwave said:

Yes....the departures for DJF do not tell the whole story for the east coast. Could be some big hitters when the storms track off coast.

Actually had to delete a year on 500mb that I added by accident. 

The departures look fine no?  Normal is all you need with that much precipitation.  If precip is solidly above normal, it'll be a solid winter.

I love that temp and precip combo...that's an active coastal hugger style look.  

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The departures look fine no?  Normal is all you need with that much precipitation.  If precip is solidly above normal, it'll be a solid winter.

I love that temp and precip combo...that's an active coastal hugger style look.  

Looks like just an active pattern for coastals to me....not sure how you determine track within 50mi from an analog composite.

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

True Ray, I can't wait.  I am really excited for this winter, it might be a case where the South Coast gets the fun this winter, sorry NNE, I think you will see average to above average snowfall in the beginning of the season.

Some don't understand the new climo...

Just now, powderfreak said:

True but when you have positive precip anomalies out to Buffalo, it makes us all feel warm and fuzzy haha.

Yea...I'm not saying it won't be a deep interior year, but the underlying point is that is seems stormy along the coast.....I'm sure some analog years were full of huggers, some weren't...its a composite.

19 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

True Ray, I can't wait.  I am really excited for this winter, it might be a case where the South Coast gets the fun this winter, sorry NNE, I think you will see average to above average snowfall in the beginning of the season.

True.  Harwich, MA CAPE COD USA is the new Jay Peak, Pinkham Notch, and Sugarloaf all rolled into one epic oceanside snow paradise.  You are a lock for big snows man.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea...I'm not saying it won't be a deep interior year, but the underlying point is that is seems stormy along the coast.....I'm sure some analog years were full of huggers, some weren't...its a composite.

Yeah I'm just being a weenie.  I'm certainly not saying it will be a deep interior winter, just from a place where moisture surplus is often a snow surplus, that *look* of all three charts is favorable.

That 500mb is perfect, as long as it's not overhead we'll all have fun.

Archived