joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2016 discussion/obs

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

has nyc ever had 12 consecutive months on the + side?

has nyc ever had 12 consecutive months on the + side?

they had 11 from 10/90 to 8/91...9/91 was slightly below average and then another 5 in a row...16 of 17 were above average by todays standards...June 2015 was ever so slightly below average...April could be the tenth straight month warmer than normal...

The near record EPO drop in late March is getting answered by a near record AO

plunge for late April. The lowest 4/20-4/30 AO readings on record were set in

89 at -3.533 and 95 at -3.081. The GEFS are hinting at a finish approaching -3.

While the -AO this time of year doesn't necessarily mean much cold especially

with the ridge to our East, any record heat like we saw in early March will

be on hold for a while. It will be a battle between the Greenland Block and

the ridge off the East Coast trying to push back. 

The near record EPO drop in late March is getting answered by a near record AO

plunge for late April. The lowest 4/20-4/30 AO readings on record were set in

89 at -3.533 and 95 at -3.081. The GEFS are hinting at a finish approaching -3.

While the -AO this time of year doesn't necessarily mean much cold especially

with the ridge to our East, any record heat like we saw in early March will

be on hold for a while. It will be a battle between the Greenland Block and

the ridge off the East Coast trying to push back. 

attachicon.gifao.sprd2.gif

hearing the NAO is not as negative as forecasted just a week ago?

NYC back to +0.7 for the month after the first two week cool stretch since March 2015.

But the big story is that the high temperature potential was muted by the very strong 

blocking patterns. The monthly high of 82 was among the coolest of the 2000's for

April so far. The low of 26 was the coldest  in NYC during April since 1995 and establishes

a new monthly low for the 2000's.

So despite all the warmth recently, we were still able to set new monthly lows for the

2000's with the -1 in February and the 26 in April. That's the power of blocking

even in a record warm background pattern.

.18 of precip here-enough to knock down the dust and pollen.

I don't know exactly how much I got here but it was way more than that.  We had periods of intense downpours and hours of steady moderate to heavy rain.  It was well needed though, soil moisture had dropped to the point that the forest floor was not just dusty on the surface it was deep and loose dry dirt.  Now that things are leafing out it will hold some of the moisture in which is a good thing. 

I don't know exactly how much I got here but it was way more than that.  We had periods of intense downpours and hours of steady moderate to heavy rain.  It was well needed though, soil moisture had dropped to the point that the forest floor was not just dusty on the surface it was deep and loose dry dirt.  Now that things are leafing out it will hold some of the moisture in which is a good thing. 

looking at radar history, N and W did alot better...the action died as it moved S and E.   We just missed a big storm here to our north last evening.   Incredibly dry here the last 2 months

That rain yesterday was very spotty.  I just went through the record for yesterday at KDXR which is only about 20 miles from me and when I was under a torrential downpour they were reporting mostly cloudy and an hour later they reported a t-storm in the vicinity and I was under it but they only got .001" for that hour.  For a 6 hour period they reported .16" and I was experiencing moderate rainfall for four hours out of the six hour period with embedded bursts of heavier showers that lasted for a few minutes at a time.  HPN also seems to have missed the t-storm entirely (like brian said) and only reported light rain/mist most of the rest of the time.  My buddy up in Sherman CT said he got a few rounds of pretty significant rain but also missed the real heavy stuff but it sounds like he likely ended up with more than Danbury. 

NYC  is currently sitting at the top of the driest March and April list on record.

It will be interesting to see how much more NYC can pick up before the month is over.

NYC.....2.49  through today

Top 5 driest  MAR/APR for NYC

#1...3.32...1985

#2...3.55...1995

#3...3.63...1966

#4...3.83...1915

#5...4.01...1935

NYC back to +0.7 for the month after the first two week cool stretch since March 2015.

But the big story is that the high temperature potential was muted by the very strong 

blocking patterns. The monthly high of 82 was among the coolest of the 2000's for

April so far. The low of 26 was the coldest  in NYC during April since 1995 and establishes

a new monthly low for the 2000's.

So despite all the warmth recently, we were still able to set new monthly lows for the

2000's with the -1 in February and the 26 in April. That's the power of blocking

even in a record warm background pattern.

in other words it takes historic blocking just to get below normal temps nowadays

in other words it takes historic blocking just to get below normal temps nowadays

Exactly..That was the case last JFM with the record block over Western North America

and the record cold here. The rest of the Northern Hemisphere outside our small

region was near record levels of warmth at the same time.

Looks like any further potential for record heat like we saw in early March will have to wait.

0z ensembles continue to take the -AO to near record levels for the last week of April.

So no record heat on the horizon at least through the first week of May due to the

very strong blocking. Be interesting to see how long this impressive blocking

pattern keeps a lid on the record warmth potential.

Last summer all the record heat waited until the second half of 

August into September when the strong blocking finally faded.

But it's difficult to forecast those kind of specifics beyond a week

to 10 days. 

Looks like any further potential for record heat like we saw in early March will have to wait.

0z ensembles continue to take the -AO to near record levels for the last week of April.

So no record heat on the horizon at least through the first week of May due to the

very strong blocking. Be interesting to see how long this impressive blocking

pattern keeps a lid on the record warmth potential.

THU MAR 10 2016...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT CENTRAL PARK NY... A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 79 DEGREES WAS SET AT CENTRAL PARK NY TODAY.THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 74 SET IN 2006.

Bring on the cooler weather :pimp:

Archived