joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wild Weekend Weather- Disco 04/02-/04/03

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fwiw 18z RGEM snowfall maps ticked south... jacks MA-CT border up to pike... 

These ticks north/south are probably within noise.

as posted earlier, the hourly CMC plots still bring that intense parting CCB into Boston area around 12z Sunday

I thought synoptically it looked slightly north of 12z...but the QPF maps jacked the pike just south of ORH....but look how wide the warning criteria snow is...that's more than the width of MA. 

SN_000_048_0000.gif

there's actually an outside shot that extreme pressure perturbation in the atmosphere passing over southern NH and NE Mass would cause a lithospheric destablization along the quasi-dormant fault that exists there.  It runs E from the Merrimack Valley some 200 naut miles out beneath the Atlantic.  This same fault released a 6.3 (est) magnitude temblor in 1755. 

yup -

That would cause problems for Back Bay.

I thought synoptically it looked slightly north of 12z...but the QPF maps jacked the pike just south of ORH....but look how wide the warning criteria snow is...that's more than the width of MA. 

SN_000_048_0000.gif

Yeah I'm guessing these 50 mile ticks all within noise anyway

To Coastal's point about dry slot... Michigan obs:

post-3106-0-34257400-1459633044_thumb.gi

The sps indicated pea-sized hail.

heh ...i still have my doubts.  convective showers in cold pool times often have grapple in them, and SPC could easily just be deferring to known nomenclature rather than confusing a dumbed down consumer base - meaning the Jo Jacks that surf the web.  

the web is a far superior means for mass notification these modern times and so simplification for the lowest common denominator.

or, it is hail, being produced at less than 10,000 foot cloud tops - interesting...

heh ...i still have my doubts.  convective showers in cold pool times often have grapple in them, and SPC could easily just be deferring to known nomenclature rather than confusing a dumbed down consumer base - meaning the Jo Jacks that surf the web.  

the web is a far superior means for mass notification these modern times and so simplification for the lowest common denominator.

or, it is hail, being produced at less than 10,000 foot cloud tops - interesting...

A lot of people are calling in hail reports

An extremely dangerous (for travel) aspect of this storm is still up in the air...but more than half the guidance show it for almost everyone...a flash freeze. Some other guidance only has it for the hills.

Temps could crash for a time into the upper 20s with the heavy snow after a start above freezing and with these snowfall rates, it reminds me of something like 3/8/05...just an all out sh**show. Thankfully though it's early on a Sunday morning.

We'll have to monitor that...if temps hold closer to 32F, then the flash freeze part would be minimized.

An extremely dangerous (for travel) aspect of this storm is still up in the air...but more than half the guidance show it for almost everyone...a flash freeze. Some other guidance only has it for the hills.

Temps could crash for a time into the upper 20s with the heavy snow after a start above freezing and with these snowfall rates, it reminds me of something like 3/8/05...just an all out sh**show. Thankfully though it's early on a Sunday morning.

We'll have to monitor that...if temps hold closer to 32F, then the flash freeze part would be minimized.

How much qpf do you anticipate being wasted by P-TYPE issues?

How much qpf do you anticipate being wasted by P-TYPE issues?

More qpf waste the further south and lower in elevation you are it would seem, I would think a pretty fast flip up in GC.

Yeah very little QPF will be wasted in the Berks and ORH hills...even down in the CP I don't expect too much...it becomes heavy very quickly and with temps that cold aloft it can't stay rain very long.

Archived