joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 20-21 Storm OBS

lakeeffectkid383

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that anyone asked ... but it appears to me the old 1.5 to 3 Deg left of v-max track pretty much nailed the cold side QPF in this.  

We've been hyper focused all weak on where the models have been bull's eyeing the low, when in the end ... these bands of frontogen looking snows seemed to be less involved with cyclogenesis altogether and more along the lines of mid level forcing, period. 

you know ... in a way, this was kinda ANA looking to some dgree - though I'm sure that wouldn't hold up to reananlysis -

I know we stress it a lot, but it's a good lesson for people trying to learn this stuff. Start from the top down. It will give you more correct answer than not. QPF and MSLP can be misleading.

I know we stress it a lot, but it's a good lesson for people trying to learn this stuff. Start from the top down. It will give you more correct answer than not. QPF and MSLP can be misleading.

Yeah....I think more and more we are getting better though. I think the problem is that when QPF does not support it...it may make things tough for someone to be bullish. However, if one assumes ratios will be high...that is a step in the right direction to assure confidence. 

lol...I don't care what you call it.  You're the one who has to live with it.  I just try and be as precise as I can and err on the side of caution.  If I stick a ruler in the snow and it's level at 5.9" but one little arm of a snowflake is sticking up and barely reaches 6.0", I don't call it 6.0".  It's 5.9. Like I said, I don't care.  I was just making a comment about my own observation more than anything.

It's a nice little snowfall.  Great to see!

Doesn't matter much to us. One, snowfall is hard to measure, two, 5.9" rounds up to 6" for verification purposes anyway.

you're so sneaky evil for being a parent ;)

man, school gets canceled every time someone farts a snowflake...back in the day when i had to walk to school, up hill both ways, they hardly ever canceled school the night before, i remember waking up and listening for the firestation whistle and watching the news hoping to hear them read my school as they went down the list alphabetically, or listening to wbz am radio waiting to hear them read the list of canceled schools...i feel we are turning into a bunch of pansies

Err on the side of caution. Roads were a mess out here. Hate to see a repeat of what happened a month ago

My road and driveway are snow covered. Actually plowed my street. It stuck very easily to the roads once it cranked overnight. 

you gotta get out on the main roads, Scott.  They're just wet.   granted ...salt certainly plays a roll, as well as traffic action, but the roads were definitely willing to melt just the same -

i drove 35 miles to work on side and main and highways and never had anything other that muddy water ...

Archived