joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
7th Annual New England Lawn Thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dropped the Dimension today. With the late spring..all the experts told me to hold off as the people that put it down in April are going to have to reapply as crab grass will be 2-3 weeks late this year.

Crab grass just exploded in our yard. Been putting barricade down last two years, but since we just overseeded, I couldn't apply this year.

Already dead tiny caterpillars. Stuff seems to be working.

Bacillus thuringiensis.  Caterpillar eats, gets sick, dies.  Unlike most chemical insecticides which kill all **arthropods, BT can be tailored for more specific targets, in this case the larvae of moths and butterflies.  If/when spruce budworm returns in force (it's already killing trees in Quebec, BT will be the treatment of choice.

**During the 1970s-80s budworm outbreak, Sevin (carbaryl) was often the insecticide of choice.  A tank truck that had hauled Sevin for the spray project was then rinsed and used to transport live lobsters in salt water.  The tiny trace of the chemical was enough to kill all 7,000 pounds of the much larger "bugs" (as lobstermen are wont to call them.)

Bacillus thuringiensis.  Caterpillar eats, gets sick, dies.  Unlike most chemical insecticides which kill all **arthropods, BT can be tailored for more specific targets, in this case the larvae of moths and butterflies.  If/when spruce budworm returns in force (it's already killing trees in Quebec, BT will be the treatment of choice.

**During the 1970s-80s budworm outbreak, Sevin (carbaryl) was often the insecticide of choice.  A tank truck that had hauled Sevin for the spray project was then rinsed and used to transport live lobsters in salt water.  The tiny trace of the chemical was enough to kill all 7,000 pounds of the much larger "bugs" (as lobstermen are wont to call them.)

Yeah it's a bacteria. Good ole natural insecticide. 

Yikes to the lobster tank. That's pretty bad if someone ate one of those bad boys.

I was wondering who was going to pick up on that lol. That's the only reason i took that shot.

At least they are in and ready for the heat the last week of the month.Nice to have that nightmare out of the way and wasn't sweating doing it

Can't imagine the nightmare that must have been. I mean the horrors of two mini AC window units. Extreme jobs should interview you and put you on TV. At minimum you should make a you tube vid of the extraordinary feat. The sound of the wind blowing through them Monday with temps in the 30s/40s will be awesome though

Yeah it's a bacteria. Good ole natural insecticide. 

Yikes to the lobster tank. That's pretty bad if someone ate one of those bad boys.

I imagine the Sevin concentration was in the parts-per-trillion range by then, and thus not dangerous as it doesn't bioaccumulate like DDT and related chemicals, but all the critters had to be tossed anyway.  Big wallet hit for whoever owned them.

Can't imagine the nightmare that must have been. I mean the horrors of two mini AC window units. Extreme jobs should interview you and put you on TV. At minimum you should make a you tube vid of the extraordinary feat. The sound of the wind blowing through them Monday with temps in the 30s/40s will be awesome though

Yeah, I wish my experiences in life were such that putting in window ACs was considered a nightmare.

I seem to have a lot of crabgrass already unless it's something else. Isn't it too early for this, especially since it's been so cold?

You could have some crabgrass sprouting, but they would be really small and barely noticeable because like you said, it's been cold and soil temps have been cold. If what are you seeing are big mature plants, it's probably not crabgrass.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived