• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
7th Annual New England Lawn Thread

CoastalWx

It was the April cold snap. Go back and look at some of the historical old snaps with multiple days with temps even colder then what you had in February. Try 4 days in a row.if anything lady winters sustained cold was more damaging then a brief cold shot. I lost my dynamite crape myrtle last winter after 8 years of perfection

They were blooming only on the bottom before that

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does that have to do with feb temps?

Can't be sure about DIT's case, but our forsythia - supposedly a hardy variety - would flower only below the midwinter snow depth if our temps had gotten much below -20. Since that occurs in about 80% of winters here, we finally gave up and replaced it with something else. I never detected any relation between its (non) performance and April temps. Would not a late killing freeze ruin all flower buds, rather than leaving those within a foot of the ground?

Can't be sure about DIT's case, but our forsythia - supposedly a hardy variety - would flower only below the midwinter snow depth if our temps had gotten much below -20. Since that occurs in about 80% of winters here, we finally gave up and replaced it with something else. I never detected any relation between its (non) performance and April temps. Would not a late killing freeze ruin all flower buds, rather than leaving those within a foot of the ground?

From the tree expert!! It absolutely was the Feb cold. Since it had blooms on it already at the end of Morch only at the bottom. Same with azaelas though those were not yet in bloom before April cold .

As many of you know I have a soil temp sensor at ~6" depth. This morning it dropped to 45F...it's recovered to 49F so far and will probably rise another degree. I was curious to see the last day of each season where it reached 45F or cooler :weenie: ...

2007 4/28

2008 5/1

2009 4/21

2010 4/19

2011 4/25

2012 4/14

2013 4/24

2014 4/28

2015 4/28

2016 4/28 YTD

Basically right on par with other years. Obviously 2010 and 2012 stick out warm like a sore thumb.

I will say that my peach tree doesn't appear to have any active buds on it this spring. The crab apple tree next to it is already flowering.

The Reliance peach (zone 5, but I wanted to try it at my Z-4 cold pocket) I planted in the spring of 1998 had no surviving flower buds in 1999, 2000, or 2001, though the other buds were fine and the tree doubled in size each year.  Bottom temps in each of those winters was -25.  Then 2001-02 had a coldest morning of just -12 and the tree was covered with blossoms, producing 100+ sweet, tennis-ball-size fruits.  Alas, Jan-Mar 2003 featured 12 mornings with temps -20 to -29, and everything above the graft was dead.  A weak sprout from below the graft barely survived summer, much less winter.  At least I got that one crop before being taught that my place is too cold for peaches.

We drove to Wayland Saturday and it's full leaf out there.  On the coast we hardly have buds.

My oaks are starting to come out, but I noticed other oaks and maples really aren't far along. Norwegian maples however have almost fully leafed out...but they are always early.

Beaucoup dandelion blossoms in the lawns here in Augusta.  None yet up home, though the coltsfoot and trout lilies are blooming.  Willows are greening up, along with the invasive shrubs in the understory, and aspens/red maples are fully flowered.  Other trees await some warmth.

Most trees made pretty good progress the last couple of days.  I'm hoping they're all done by Wednesday's pool opening to minimize the 'leaf crap' blowing in.

The apples are doing really well.  A couple of the later varieties are slow to come along but are trying.  I'm hoping that the cool weather will delay the blossoming a little so they all bloom together.  I'm really eager for a good apples season.  The buds are very promising.  I just need them to open and some bees for healthy cross-pollination and I'll be in business.

Archived