joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
7th Annual New England Lawn Thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do any of you know if land scape companies will come to your yard to pick up wood and give $$ money for it? My parents have cord and cords of hardwood down from the last few years. I think they can get decent money for it...but I have no idea if anyone will pick it up.

Do any of you know if land scape companies will come to your yard to pick up wood and give $$ money for it? My parents have cord and cords of hardwood down from the last few years. I think they can get decent money for it...but I have no idea if anyone will pick it up.

that's what I was thinking but a neighbor has an outside wood stove and is going to come over and clean up my lots. Easily 6 cord down in 4 acres.

that's what I was thinking but a neighbor has an outside wood stove and is going to come over and clean up my lots. Easily 6 cord down in 4 acres.

This is just near the edge of the lawn. Just so much crap down. I think once Feb 2013 knocked a lot of the pines down...all these other trees have nothing to lean on and are just crashing and snapping. 

I didn't think there were azaleas that cold hardy that could survive up in your part of Maine?

Do they actually flower?

There are azalea relatives growing wild in Maine bogs, though I don't know if the ones we planted are closely related to them;l they did come from a local nursery, where folks ought to know what works.  Not much for flowers last year, but they had been planted in late summer 2014 and that first winter was very cold.  This summer should tell us how well they can bloom here.

I believe a tree company would take it but for free. My parents did that a couple of time as they went to all pellet stoves now

Gypsy moths are hit or miss. Haven't experienced back to back bad years myself.

That's been the case since the polyhedral virus became well established nearly 20 years ago - the early 1990s outbreak ended well short of the catastrophic ones in the early 1970s and early 1980s.  One can hope that the ecosystem and gypsy moth have stabilized such that major outbreaks are very unlikely.

Too early to do seeding?

We had a frost this morning

We also had our day lilies start up a few weeks early and the snow and frosts might have done them in

Daylilies are pretty hardy perennials, the foliage that is up through the ground might look sad right now with the recent stretch of sub 30F nights, but they should be fine.

What do you make of all the weird forsythia blooms with only the far bottom yellow and the top 2/3 no blooms?

I think you might have even mentioned it, but probably the bottoms protected by snow and the top exposed and possibly winter kill. They may have been doomed by that early April cold shot where it was single digits for lows in many spots because they had already started budding or maybe even close to flowering in some spots.

There are different varieties of forsythia and some are more cold hardy than others actually, so that could be a factor too.

I think you might have even mentioned it, but probably the bottoms protected by snow and the top exposed and possibly winter kill. They may have been doomed by that early April cold shot where it was single digits for lows in many spots because they had already started budding or maybe even close to flowering in some spots.

There are different varieties of forsythia and some are more cold hardy than others actually, so that could be a factor too.

First time around here I've ever seen it happen. The -17.4 was the coldest it's ever been here, so maybe that is what it was. They were blooming before that snow, cold snap earlier this month. So that didn't effect them .

First time around here I've ever seen it happen. The -17.4 was the coldest it's ever been here, so maybe that is what it was. They were blooming before that snow, cold snap earlier this month. So that didn't effect them .

I doubt the -17 did it, the cold snap earlier this month would be where I'd put my money.  I've had deer be hungry enough to eat forsythia here in the past but your photo shows that it wasn't from the deer if you have any. 

Archived