Newest Member
    joxey
7th Annual New England Lawn Thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice.  I am by no means a green thumb, far from it.  My yard is a horror show, weeds everywhere, crab grass, areas with no grass, dandelions.  Horrible.  I want to try and turn things around.  I'm going to get it all raked up and de-thatched this weekend.

My question is what should I be doing at this point to start getting a better yard, fertilizer, grass seed, neither? 

Thanks.

Hey Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice.  I am by no means a green thumb, far from it.  My yard is a horror show, weeds everywhere, crab grass, areas with no grass, dandelions.  Horrible.  I want to try and turn things around.  I'm going to get it all raked up and de-thatched this weekend.

My question is what should I be doing at this point to start getting a better yard, fertilizer, grass seed, neither? 

Thanks.

From what you described you have a lot of work. You need to first remove(roots and all) all of the weeds. Fall is the best time to reseed, but it can certainly be done in the spring. You might be better off bringing in screened topsoil, seeding the entire lawn and basically starting from scratch. If you seed in the spring you run a higher risk of weeds and/or the new grass dying in the summer if you don't keep it watered. But if you are committed to having a nice lawn, then you can do it now, but you have to make sure it is watered all summer. Don't make the investment and effort if you're going to get lazy or are unable to continue to take care of it. 

Im experimenting with the idea of letting the dog pizz on the lawn all winter to see if greens up in the spring. Thoughts? I'm curious of what the landscaping guys will do going forward...

Not sure why but my female (dog) burns the grass where she p's . The male doesn't .

Started cutting brush/tress to keep our view of the lake unobstructed. Made a pretty good dent yesterday and intend to take the remaining trees circled in the pic below. My plan is to excavate and put lawn in the area where noted to join up with rest of lawn not in pic, however I am not sure what, if anything should be done with newly cut area. It'll probably be a weird transition from lawn to nothing/tree stumps. I don't want to put more lawn in as that'll be way too much to cut. We thought about putting large boulders on edge of new lawn to separate from the new area. As I cut more trees below I feel like in some ways I'm making more trouble for myself, but if we don't take the trees/brush now, they'll obstruct the view in a few years. 

post-2152-0-68410800-1457974192_thumb.jp

Hire a turf company, best thing i did.  $55 a  visit they come about 6-8 times. i cant buy the fert, crab grass killer and other things for what i pay them to come do it.  Then slice seed and aerate in fall.

after 10 years of trying and i have all the water i need from a nice trout stream with a big pump"

081108.jpg

Here is how it looks all year now and FYI this is  10/24/2014 it looks like this when i mow it in mid to late December

155541.jpg

Hire a turf company, best thing i did.  $55 a  visit they come about 6-8 times. i cant buy the fert, crab grass killer and other things for what i pay them to come do it.  Then slice seed and aerate in fall.

after 10 years of trying and i have all the water i need from a nice trout stream with a big pump"

081108.jpg

Here is how it looks all year now and FYI this is  10/24/2014 it looks like this when i mow it in mid to late December

155541.jpg

That's a nice recovery from the before and after pics.  Not all turf companies are created equal, looks like you found one that knows what they are doing.

Archived