joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
7th Annual New England Lawn Thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massive greenup. The reason April snow is called poor man's fert. is because the slower melt of water allows nitrogen release at a slower rate versus straight rain which has some runoff or bypasses the root system. Sort of timed release.

lol.

I usually don't do a first cut until the first week of May. Not sure if I can make it that far this year.

So ....forsythia is out. Think it's too early/cold for Dimension pre emergent?

Yes. I went last week and got just starter fert with nitrogen for green up. Talked with the guy and he said the idea of putting down crab grass prevention when forsythia blooms is old. He said that was when they used different chemicals . They have changed the makeup of the pre - emergents over the last 5-10 years, so you put it down later. He said you actually can put it down up to 2 weeks after it has emerged and it will still kill it. He has a golf course (Ellington Ridge) that waits until early June to put down Dimension. He said the earliest Dinension these days should be dropped is late April-early May. I'm gonna do it the last few days of April

This is all we've got this year. The -17 in Feb killed all the top flowers. Just where the snowpack protected the bottom has flowers

09D1E5D1-DCFC-450C-A972-6270F952F6E3_zps

That's what our forsythia looked like every year but 2002, a winter with low temp of -12.  (Median for winter's lowest here is -25.)  Then in 2014 it had exactly one blossom - I think it was mocking us.  It's been evicted in favor of two azaleas, and moved to the edge of the woods.

That's what our forsythia looked like every year but 2002, a winter with low temp of -12. (Median for winter's lowest here is -25.) Then in 2014 it had exactly one blossom - I think it was mocking us. It's been evicted in favor of two azaleas, and moved to the edge of the woods.

I didn't think there were azaleas that cold hardy that could survive up in your part of Maine?

Do they actually flower?

Archived