joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
7th Annual New England Lawn Thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

must all be dead I guess, always see them on 164 in Griswold, first I saw were in Gales Ferry. I cut all those nasty bushes years ago.

If they haven't bloomed, they must have been damaged. I have seen them damaged. I also am seeing Norwegian maples with those green bushy things about to leaf out.

Last year I gave my local fertilizer company a shot after starting at my neighbors yard looking perfect with zero irrigation.  My irrigation + Lesco and I still have dead spots and crabgrass.

They still haven't put down preemergent and I called them yesterday. They said it's not about the forsythia and more about soil temps.

Just like the forsythia.. The azaleas are only blooming at the very bottom.,I've never seen that happen in CT. Is this the normal up north where you get those -15 to -20 temps like we had here in Feb?

FA7ACEC1-E33E-4D8A-ADC6-713B8BA444B2_zps

It's not common because most of the ones up this way are the old fashioned deciduous azaleas suitable for zone 4.  

There are many less hardy varieties, like your evergreen azalea, that have been planted further north thanks to big box stores that stock things that just aren't reliable.  My Lowes has sold blue atlas cedars before. 

Depends on variety, but your azalea most likely belongs in zone 6, but your -17 was pushing close to the zone 4 threshold.  So it'll end up acting like a forsythia. Also, they need a lot of sun to look good, which seems iffy in that spot.

I like the bricks. They aren't like actual bricks that grow moss in between them. They are more like wide, flat , smooth brick colored pavers. Had just been done when we bought the house. Power wash them once a year and they look really nice. The stone porch I don't like as it does crack on the side. But that's where I sit during tstorms. At least till the giant 5 pronged Oak 20 feet away gets struck and zaps me

Archived