joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
7th Annual New England Lawn Thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More after effects of the 2015 acorn apocalypse .   Thousands of oaks saplings in the mulch.  No matter how many times I did the fall cleanup I knew this would happen.

Know how you feel.  The Dec. 1992 mega-storm didn't send any snow as far north as my (then) Gardiner, Maine home, but there was lots of wind.  We'd had a monster seed crop on the abundant white ash trees and most were still hanging on the trees when that wind hit and did a wonderful job of distributing them.  Next spring the flower gardens and pine-needle mulch piles were covered with seedlings, maybe 100 per square foot.

I was out doing the lawn and there are tons of them and I can see some holes and shredded oak leaves. A bigger problem currently is the house being inundated with carpenter ants

Our house got invaded 2 years ago by carpenter ants. Like out of control they were everywhere. Get some Taurus SC or Termidor online. Mix it up and spray around your foundation. This is the same stuff the pros use and is amazingly effective. Wiped them right out in about a week and have not seen once since. If your ever down this way I have a bottle and can hook you up. The mix goes far. I have done a few friends/family houses. 

Our house got invaded 2 years ago by carpenter ants. Like out of control they were everywhere. Get some Taurus SC or Termidor online. Mix it up and spray around your foundation. This is the same stuff the pros use and is amazingly effective. Wiped them right out in about a week and have not seen once since. If your ever down this way I have a bottle and can hook you up. The mix goes far. I have done a few friends/family houses.

Ok thanks. I bought some Raid traps and they've already helped quite a bit. We get them every year. Some worse than others

I have 18 Oaks just in the yard. That would be 10,000 dollar investment minimally

3 Oaks, overhanging the house and wires, 2 maples that are done, $1500 they mulch the branches keep the mulch, cut the wood in 4 foot sections, we keep the wood to give to friends who burn wood and some for the fire pits. starts in November

3 Oaks, overhanging the house and wires, 2 maples that are done, $1500 they mulch the branches keep the mulch, cut the wood in 4 foot sections, we keep the wood to give to friends who burn wood and some for the fire pits. starts in November

This year . Some type of animal or bird is shredding and shaving the bark off the Oaks.. Literally there's hundreds of pieces of shredded bark under 4-5 of the White Oaks. No idea what's doing it.

The trees in my yard are keeping it looking great. If I had no trees, my lawn would be nuked. As much as I curse them..they help.

completely surrounded by trees just need to thin out the dangerous ones shade won't change much. Maples are not conducive to grass growth so that will help actually

Archived