joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
7th Annual New England Lawn Thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No moths here, but I am getting inundated with wild strawberry and I hate it. I had one little patch in a corner of the yard last year and all of a sudden this spring it's in half of the front yard, one side, and some of the back. I'm not a lawn snob like some, but I don't want this crap taking over either. From what I've read the only solution is to basically keep pulling it out, keep the grass long, and infrequent deep watering instead of brief, frequent ones. IOW, maintain a healthy lawn to crowd it out. Maybe I'll let the chickens have at it.

I've been seeing a ton of them here as well.  Since we don't have oaks, I'm not seeing any damage.  I guess maples don't quite cut the mustard for them.

Oaks are definitely their favorite, and in NNJ (early 1970s) at least, they ate the white oaks ahead of the red.  However, in major outbreak populations they eat almost everything.  The early 1980s explosion saw denuded pines (which barely recovered) and hemlock (which didn't.)  During the worst year, '81 or '82, about the only green along I-93  from CON to 495 and beyond was white ash, probably at the bottom of the bugs' menu.

I was away all weekend , and I do see some crawling around, but don't see any tree damage as of yet

absolute disaster going on here, gypsy crap everywhere,tops of oaks half eaten and pieces of leaves all over the place. Ugh, cleaned at least a hundred small ones out of the pool.

Oaks are definitely their favorite, and in NNJ (early 1970s) at least, they ate the white oaks ahead of the red. However, in major outbreak populations they eat almost everything. The early 1980s explosion saw denuded pines (which barely recovered) and hemlock (which didn't.) During the worst year, '81 or '82, about the only green along I-93 from CON to 495 and beyond was white ash, probably at the bottom of the bugs' menu.

worse than last year here. Hope they crash soon

absolute disaster going on here, gypsy crap everywhere,tops of oaks half eaten and pieces of leaves all over the place. Ugh, cleaned at least a hundred small ones out of the pool.

I was out doing the lawn and there are tons of them and I can see some holes and shredded oak leaves. A bigger problem currently is the house being inundated with carpenter ants

QUESTIONS? CALL: 1-800-476-3368

MY ACCOUNT | MY CART | CHECKOUT

Go

Carpenter Ant InspectionCarpenter Ant BiologyCarpenter Ant Treatment Tips

How to Get Rid of Carpenter Ants

Carpenter Ants are controlled through the application of insecticides and sprays in various forms. These forms include liquid concentrates, baits, dusts, and foams.

Insecticides - Used as perimeter spray.Baits - Used on Carpenter Ant trails.Dusts - Used in voids and galleriesFoams - Used in voids and galleries

Black Carpenter Ant

Florida Carpenter Ant

1. Inspection

The first step to controlling Carpenter Ants is inspection, to determine if they are located outside and simply foraging inside, or if you have a colony or satellite colony inside your home.

2. Determine Control Measure

Once you complete your inspection and identify nest locations and foraging trails, the next step is to determine which control measure to use.

Baiting - used on Carpenter Ant trailsSpraying- Non-Repellent sprays used as permiter treatment, may be used with baitsTreating Voids - Foams or Dusts used in voids or galleries where Carpenter Ants are nesting

3. Prevention

The final step is to prevent further infestations by ant-proofing your home and yard, by clearing away rotting trees and lumber piles, fixing plumbing leaks, etc.

Click Here: Prevention Tips

Baiting Procedures for Foraging Ants and Ants in Recessed Areas

Apply Carpenter Ant Baits after inspecting their trails.These ant baits are designed to attract Carpenter Ants. The foraging Carpenter Ants pick up the bait and share it with the entire colony, killing it.

Notes:

Do not to put repellent insecticides, liquid or granulated, in the same area as baits. Repellent insecticides repel the insects away from the baits, rendering the baits useless. Use only non-repellent insecticides in the same area as baits.

It is important to remove other competing food sources (such as crumbs and pet food) that could interfere with the Ants taking the bait.

1. A good treatment choice is to bait both inside and the grounds outside with baits such as:

Advance 375A Ant Bait

Maxforce Carpenter Ant Bait Gel

Both of these baits are designed to allow foraging workers to take the bait to the queen in the nest, eliminating the colony/colonies, thereby preventing future outdoor populations from coming inside.

Both of these baits work well on Carpenter Ants and resist the elements, making them hardy choices for outside baiting. Carpenter Ants feed on sweet foods during certain cycles, and at other times feed on protein foods. The Maxforce Carpenter Ant Bait Gel contains honeydew, one of the major sweet-based food sources for these Ants. The Advance 375 A Ant Bait is a protein-based food for the Ant's protein needs.

Use both baits for a complete balance of the Ant's dietary needs.

Spraying Procedures for Foraging Carpenter Ants

At times you will have foraging Ants that come inside, forage for food, and then return to their outdoor nests.

You can block these foraging Ants using a perimeter treatment with a non-repellent residual insecticides such as Taurus SC or FUSE. Taurus SC and FUSE also control a wide variety of insects including Termites, Spiders, Roaches, Centipedes, Millipedes, Ticks, and many more.

Taurus SC (same as Termidor SC- Fipronil 9.7 )Mix Taurus at 0.4-0.8 oz per gallon of water and spray a low volume spray up to 18 inches out and 18 inches up the perimeter of your home as a banded spray. Spray around windows, doors, pipes, vents, foundation, foundation cracks, drilled holes or any exterior openings where the ants may enter the home. Treat where wires (cable, telephone, electrical) enter the house.May be sprayed 2-4 times a year depending on finished dilution rateTaurus SC 20 oz yields 25 gallons and the 78 oz yields 100 gallons at 0.06% rate

Apply Taurus SC two-four times a year according to label instructions (finished solution percentages may change on frequency of use-seetable below).

FUSE - ( Imidacloprid 21.4% and Fipronil 6.6%)Mix 0.3 to 0.6 oz per gallon of water. Spray as a low pressure spray along the foundation.FUSE may be applied twice or eight times a year, depending on the dosage strength and size of bands around the house.FUSE 7.5 oz yields 13-26 gallons, 27.5 yields 50-100 gallons

Permitted Taurus SC Frequency and Dilution Rate Application Scenarios %:

Taurus SC finished dilution 0.03%

4 times/calendar year

Mix 0.4 oz per gallon

Taurus SC finished dilution 0.06%

2 times/calendar year

Mix 0.8 oz per gallon

Taurus SC finished dilution 0.03%

2 times/calendar year

and

Taurus SC finished dilution 0.06%

1 time/calendar year

We carry a special kit with Taurus S, plus two Ant baits: Maxforce Carpenter Ant Bait Gel, a sweet-based bait, and Advance 375 A Ant Bait to provide for the Ant's protein-based dietary needs.

Carpenter Ant Kit made up of Taurus SC and Carpenter Ant baits at a reduced cost.

Treating the Voids (Colonies Inside a Hollow Area)

Indoor nests (voids) are found in hollow doors, window sills, behind baseboards, or other natural hollow areas. These are the areas that warrant a complete inspection. Indoor Carpenter Ant damage oftentimes indicates water damage and wood decay. Making necessary repairs will help prevent re-infestation.

If you suspect the nest is in a wall, drill and treat at least 2–6 feet on either side of where the Ants are entering in order to maximize the opportunity to contact the nest directly, so you can get the queen.

Note: Do not use liquid insecticide in a wall void. Treat wall voids and other hidden spaces where Ants hide by carefully drilling a series of small (1/8-inch) holes and dusting the area with a residual insecticide dust such as D Fense Dust. You can also use an aerosol with a crack and crevice tip such asAlpine Aerosol or an aerosol that foams such as Alpine Ant & Termite Foam. Both these methods provide a long-term residual effect. 

WARNING: Never use liquid insecticides or metal tipped devices around any electrical outlets.

Once you locate the nest, treat the nest directly with an aerosol spray or foam, such as:

D Fense Dust

D Fense dust is to be used as a dust in void areas. Use a duster with it for the best application.

Alpine PT Aerosol (Non-Repellent)

Alpine PT Aerosol, fitted with a crack and crevice tip, works well in void areas where you don't know exactly where the nest is located.Alpine Ant & Termite Foam 

Use Alpine Ant and Termite Foam (non-repellent) when you know exactly where the nest is located.Carpenter Ant Prevention

Follow these steps to prevent Carpenter Ant infestations:

Correct moisture problems, roof leaks, and plumbing leaks.Cut back tree limbs or branches that could serve as a bridge to your structure.Seal cracks and openings around the foundation, especially where utility pipes and wires enter from the outside.Stack firewood away from the house, elevated off the ground if possible. Carpenter Ants love to nest in firewood.

Feel free to call us for further information or help.

All Ant Control Products

Exterminator Choices 

Prevent Ants with Insecticide Spray 

Carpenter Ant Bait Kit 

Complete Ant Bait Kit 

Kill Ants with Bait 

Kill Ants with Insecticide Aerosol 

Prevent Lawn Ants with Granular Insecticide 

Contact  |  Customer Service | USDA Extension Locations 

© 2016 Do It Yourself Pest Control

Check for worms on the sides of trees, hanging in an inverted "V" position - diagnostic for polyhedral virus, which usually is rampant in a collapsing population.

seen a bunch of those but literally hundreds climbing the house, reminds me of 83. I must have killed a couple hundred today, had to put the pool cover back on tonight. They surprisingly nailed a poplar tree hard.

Just another reason that we're all glad we don't live there.

brutal, dry May did us in, the fungus that kills them did not erupt.. They will all be gone in 2-3 weeks until then absolutely nothing can be done. Pool is re-covered, thankfully the weather looks cool for a while. Of course the beautiful clean beaches of the RI Atlantic ocean, something you don't have, is a short 45 min drive away which makes me extremely glad I don't live there. 

seen a bunch of those but literally hundreds climbing the house, reminds me of 83. I must have killed a couple hundred today, had to put the pool cover back on tonight. They surprisingly nailed a poplar tree hard.

Oaks first, then almost everything else. 

When I lived in northern Maine, we had forest tent caterpillars, aka army worms, and they ate the aspens first of all before moving on to other hardwoods.  They also liked to climb the outsides of houses, to where some people moved out because each opening of a door resulted in hundreds of the 2-3" critters crawling over the threshold.  A neighbor had the worms piling up in the inside corner of foundation and bulkhead door, and he would fill a snow shovel with them and dump the load into the burn barrel - smell of rotting worms was already awful and that from the roasted thousands wasn't any worse. 

Archived