amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Possible winter storm March 1st-2nd

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watch a WV loop of today up until now. There are at least 3 distinct Pacific shortwaves that are most certainly not fully sampled by 12Z raobs.  The lead wave will be at 00Z, as will a minor wave coming into northern CA this evening. The rear wave can be seen plain as day on WV imagery well offshore, much stronger than most if not all guidance. It will be coming ashore at 12Z tomorrow but is unlikely to be fully sampled even then. 

The 18Z GFS made the same corrections aloft as the NAM, with more to go. 

Watch a WV loop of today up until now. There are at least 3 distinct Pacific shortwaves that are most certainly not fully sampled by 12Z raobs. The lead wave will be at 00Z, as will a minor wave coming into northern CA this evening. The rear wave can be seen plain as day on WV imagery well offshore, much stronger than most if not all guidance. It will be coming ashore at 12Z tomorrow but is unlikely to be fully sampled even then.

The 18Z GFS made the same corrections aloft as the NAM, with more to go.

It also seemed pretty meh on cold sector QPF NW of the sfc low as it crossed into IL. Even worse than the 12z run but again looked like convective feedback issues.

Just looking at the tilt aloft you'd expect more precip back into the cold air.

12z eps mean snowfall

attachicon.gifeps_snow_m_east_15.png

Ind members

attachicon.gifeps_slp_lows_neng_12.png

GFS with another tick north but that strong omega keeps us all/mostly snow. 11.9" per pivotwx kuchera map. With the arctic air locked in, I think as long as we can prevent this thing from track over/west of us, we've got a strong chance of our biggest storm of the season.

Of course, Purduewx's thoughts are giving me pause to think that the westerly scenario is possible.

will have to make hay with the fronto up here as that looks to be the only player but could be a fun period.  Not comforting being in the sweet spot so to say as there will be changes to come yet in placement and i fear it being south more euro like. but who knows. Been a blast tracking it though as was last weeks failure

It also seemed pretty meh on cold sector QPF NW of the sfc low as it crossed into IL. Even worse than the 12z run but again looked like convective feedback issues.

Just looking at the tilt aloft you'd expect more precip back into the cold air.

More interested in the 18z GEFS than I'd normally be at this point...

I was in Florida for the storm that just dropped 6 plus inches imby. Was out of town for the big 15-20 inch snow in early Feb last year. For those in northern Indiana..I am in town this week. Sorry no snow for you!

lol. Snow nazi. How about a little ice and mixed stuff with just smattering to cover the ground at the end?

will have to make hay with the fronto up here as that looks to be the only player but could be a fun period.  Not comforting being in the sweet spot so to say as there will be changes to come yet in placement and i fear it being south more euro like. but who knows. Been a blast tracking it though as was last weeks failure

I couldn't tell you thought this at all......................... (end sarcasm) :P

I'll take e17 please.

Hard to believe we're talking snow right now with temps in the mid 60's here, sandwiched in between two winter storms.

Yeah really. e17 is great for you.

e15 is good for both of us, I'll vote for that one.   :D

I think watches will be pulled fairly late for this system, due to it not being sampled until the middle of the day tomorrow. Might go straight to a warning in some areas.

I think watches will be pulled fairly late for this system, due to it not being sampled until the middle of the day tomorrow. Might go straight to a warning in some areas.

If the 00z models can maintain the same consensus as today's 12z runs, and if the snow amounts increase a bit more, Watches will go out by morning. 

I'd be down for some e15.  

Quite a few amped up runs there.

Archived