wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Possible winter storm March 1st-2nd

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely a challenging forecast for the dvn office.  I think for the QC we're going to have to depend on how things evolve on the back side of the departing low on Tue.  The WAA wing precip looks to be mainly north of here tomorrow night and early Tue, and would be mostly rain along the I-80 corridor anyway.  Some indications of a narrow band of heavy snow accumulations with that band up near the WI/IL border as it sort of stalls out and waits for the pivot.  I could see areas in northeast IA/southern WI/and perhaps far northern IL getting dumped on with that.  The GFS is pretty weak with the WAA wing precip area though, so it's something that's not written in stone yet.  Definitely something to watch for those who live up that way. 

For down this way we'll be at the mercy of how the main snow band evolves, and how quickly it does.  The GFS is definitely the most robust in quickly developing a nice band of snow on the northwest side of the storm, whereas the NAM and GEM take a little longer.  

Still too early to make a call here, but at this point it looks like whatever we see tomorrow night/early Tue will be rain/dry slot south of WAA wing.  Then a quick rain to snow changeover on Tue with hopefully at least a few quick inches before the storm rockets northeast.

Kind of in a similar situation as you around here.  That placement of that band tomorrow night will be an important factor with some hints of it being just north.  Thermal profiles do look a bit cooler out this way so I think whatever precip falls would be a mix with some sleet/freezing rain possible after possibly briefly starting as plain rain.  Then the question is how far north the main system gets and how that will affect precip type.

Thermal profiles do look a bit cooler out this way so I think whatever precip falls would be a mix with some sleet/freezing rain possible after possibly briefly starting as plain rain.

If this pans out how significant would you expect the freezing rain to be?

If this pans out how significant would you expect the freezing rain to be?

Probably fairly minor amounts...less than 2 tenths.  The warm lead up raises some questions about road impacts but tonight does cool off a lot before warming up tomorrow in advance of the storm and of course it doesn't take much to cause issues.

as we feared the euro would be. really wanted to see mke on the southern fringe of waa snow/mix to maybe allow the system north more.. being on the fringe is not what we wanted to see.  euro is normally not one to flip on a dime so maybe tonight's run will get a leg on board if nam and gfs don't flip back at 18z and 0z. big if

whens the last time a storm track croaked toronto like the euro? pulling out all the geos tricks and optimism i can think of.

The track is further NW then last night. Toronto was on the western edge of the gray (12").

Maybe all the models can meet in the middle somewhere and put us on the backside of the main system snow.

The track is further NW then last night. Toronto was on the western edge of the gray (12").

Maybe all the models can meet in the middle somewhere and put us on the backside of the main system snow.

That's probably best case scenario at this point with a very low confidence in that even up here.. get so sick of the we compromise crap though with the model camps 2 and 3 days out.   I always knew it would be tough to get in on both parts but we hardly even get in on one with the euro :blahblah:

Enjoy the 60 today and 50 tomorrow  I guess like last week.  That's fun right

That's probably best case scenario at this point with a very low confidence in that even up here.. get so sick of the we compromise crap though with the model camps 2 and 3 days out.   I always knew it would be tough to get in on both parts but we hardly even get in on one with the euro :blahblah:

Enjoy the 60 today and 50 tomorrow  I guess like last week.  That's fun right

I'm enjoying it. Have a few windows open.

Wouldn't be surprised if the GFS and EURO meet in the middle on this one.

Archived