wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Possible winter storm March 1st-2nd

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That initial frontogenesis area of precipitation seems to have decent agreement at least in terms of placement.  After that, who knows.

Classic position just north of I-80. Goes from low 50s to mid 20s in 12 hours here late Monday.

Pretty sure the eurowx snowfall maps are only 10:1. About half the snow in Chicago falls with temps below the high 20s.

And from northern Ohio into the Toronto area a lot of that snow falls in the 20s. I bet you could take 15:1 ratios from that and fluff up a band pushing 2' in some locations.

only way this is a rainer in chicago is if the wave coming onshore now fully and more quickly phases with that lobe of the polar vortex rotating down. literally the only guidance showing this is a handful of 06z GFS ensemble members.  it may be rain at the onset late monday evening but will quickly go to either ice or snow. a pneumonia front coming down the lakeshore monday eve will ensure our temps get below freezing rather quickly. the main disagreement is how much warm air lingers above the sfc, with US guidance keeping that warm nose through the night while foreign guidance is colder and snowier. unfortunately both these waves are poorly sampled given their origin so i suspect we'll see continued disagreement until overnight runs tonight.

It's going to be north / stronger / warmer without a doubt.

By how much is the question.

Only one of those that's true through 54 is stronger...although I don't deny that the warmer/further north stuff could happen in later frames.

Notice it's also trended a bit stronger/south with the arctic high over QC.

P-type is mainly PL before it goes over to SN at the end. 2m temps way too cold for rain with the given solution.

Checked the sounding. It looks like a very narrow wedge of like <+1.0c at 850. Could easily be snow despite the algorithm. Depending on the intensity.

I'll take cease and desist order on the north trend now please.

Archived