joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible winter storm March 1st-2nd

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why am I not surprised? It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this ended up as an eastern New York/northern new England/Maritimes special.  There is a snow wall built around the GTA this year. We will likely finish up with the least snowiest winter on record.

I know it's frustrating living in that city as a snow-lover. But take it to the complaint thread or our regional thread. Other people don't want to read this bittercasting stuff.

We'd probably get more on the GEM model. GGEM has the lake enhancement wild card also nicely. Delta Ts would be pretty high.

Looks like we are heading for a bit more than a nuisance system. Big enough system to remind us winter isn't over yet.

Are you talking about on your side of the lake, or are winds shifting around?

Geos didn't introduce us to his twin sibling :)

lol

For those looking for a stronger storm, I think it's still a little too early to throw in the towel. Still about 36 hours until full sampling. You'd only have to slow down the main s/w a bit for this to turn into something bigger.

+1 for optimism.

Comparing today's 12z Euro from yesterday's huge 12z, run, there are obvious differences but you can see how it wouldn't take much to trend back toward something bigger...at least part of the way.

Are you talking about on your side of the lake, or are winds shifting around?

lol

It flips over to your side for awhile. 

I'm roughly seeing Delta Ts up to 18°C, if you can say the lake is near 5°C right now. Temperature decreases with height so there wouldn't be any inversion to deal with.

I'm not even sure eurowx maps have the correct ratio algorithm. It's suggesting 10:1 here with temps in the mid 20s. 

+1 for optimism.

Comparing today's 12z Euro from yesterday's huge 12z, run, there are obvious differences but you can see how it wouldn't take much to trend back toward something bigger...at least part of the way.

lol...I never thought I'd live to see the day anything I'd write on this board would be considered optimistic. I'm actually a graduate of the ALEK school of aim so low you don't care weather forecasting.

I think I've just taken the realistic view that you've mentioned in your 2nd paragraph.

It flips over to your side for awhile. 

I'm roughly seeing Delta Ts up to 18°C, if you can say the lake is near 5°C right now. Temperature decreases with height so there wouldn't be any inversion to deal with.

I'm not even sure eurowx maps have the correct ratio algorithm. It's suggesting 10:1 here with temps in the mid 20s. 

True. With the lake not frozen, there is opportunity for lake effect snow if we can get cold enough air. Any wind though, and it will jump over the lakeshore. Unfrozen lake = more of a November type setup for lake effect snow around here.

True. With the lake not frozen, there is opportunity for lake effect snow if we can get cold enough air. Any wind though, and it will jump over the lakeshore. Unfrozen lake = more of a November type setup for lake effect snow around here.

850 mb temps in the mid teens. At 700mb they are -15°- -17°C. So yeah this air mass is cold!  :shiver:

Winds are strongest at the bottom of the lake/Michigan City. But we're only talking 20mph if that.

I noticed the snow along the front on Monday evening. Breaks snow out near 43°N and then slides south and east. That could be interesting. Those frontogenesis bands can be fun, if you're in the right corridor.

Seen plenty of those events that over perform.

LMAO!  Wow.  Talk about deflating expectations in a short time.  Maybe next year.

Lol. You need the GGEM to work out for you. ~4".

Didn't think we'd be a this point today. It's like the non-EURO model trend north and with more snow and the EURO turns around and goes back the other way. 

Would be nice to get to the seasonal average by mid-March.

I know this is a little bit off topic, but I just discovered this NCAR short-range ensemble product. It seems to be a different system from the SREF (run by NCEP). Goes to 48 hours.

http://ensemble.ucar.edu/

It's a nice product to look at, unfortunately only runs at 00z. I know of a few forecasters at my office that use it fairly routinely.

Archived