joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible winter storm March 1st-2nd

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also of interest is the Ukie showing that second low down in Oklahoma. That could make quite the phase off to the east.

It's like the energy splits as it gets swung off the backside of the trough.

EURO so far is a carbon copy of yesterday at this time. Out to 36 hours.

Sure didn't take this too long to transform into hot garbage... Would definitely like to see a trend back towards a more phased/stronger system on the runs later today, otherwise this one may be punt worthy.

Still looks like a pretty good chance for a 6-10" type system at least.  Funny that will seem like a disappointment considering the 2+ foot solutions on previous run.

Still looks like a pretty good chance for a 6-10" type system at least. Funny that will seem like a disappointment considering the 2+ foot solutions on previous run.

Well, it is a disappointment...and I'm not just speaking IMBY. When the Euro (supposedly one of the best medium range models) shows a 20"+ swath on a few runs and then loses it, you can't help but criticize the models. It's not like it's 7-10 days out; it's only 3 days.

It would be easy to chalk it up to simply another crap event in this horrendous winter...but objectively speaking, it's a bad performance by the models. Not sure why this is happening, but what else can you say?

models i think have been OK with the super nino being dealt to them. lots of moving parts and timing issues along with little cold air i imagine is not easy for them so i take each run with a glass half full approach and try and figure out what can and is likely to muck things up..  lots of mucking and mudding

No, little more than that. The lake influence might be more exciting than the synoptic snow.

post-7-0-94147700-1456597498.png

Yeah i love snow but who really want's that scraps.  bring it out in one or be done.  I'm so over nuisance barely plowable events that offer nothing more than to really only dirty your vehicle up again with over usage of salt

TYVM for the maps and details though!

haven't spent much time on looking at this one, (pretty much gave up on the i-70 corridor for this winter)...but checking back in and seeing the models with a progressive solution kind of makes sense.  

I was trying to figure out a few days ago how a storm goes neg tilt and cuts for the eastern lakes with another strong system on it's tail. Now the models are starting to show it's the caboose that might need watching for portions of the sub...either nw of us or further east of course.

Yeah i love snow but who really want's that scraps.  bring it out in one or be done.  I'm so over nuisance barely plowable events that offer nothing more than to really only dirty your vehicle up again

TYVM for the maps and details though!

I hear you on that one.

Winds come off the lake for about 18 hours about and the lake enhanced wild card is there. EURO doesn't handle small scale details like that well.

For those looking for a stronger storm, I think it's still a little too early to throw in the towel. Still about 36 hours until full sampling. You'd only have to slow down the main s/w a bit for this to turn into something bigger.

Agreed. This thing could model stronger and alter its track. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 985 mb low smoke southern Wisconsin.

After the previous storm, which had an Apps runner 3-4 days out and ended up way further northwest, anything can happen in the medium range.

For those looking for a stronger storm, I think it's still a little too early to throw in the towel. Still about 36 hours until full sampling. You'd only have to slow down the main s/w a bit for this to turn into something bigger.

I think many of us at this point are just looking for everything that could go wrong with the way this winter has been.

The EURO is NOT a carbon copy of the GFS. Carbon copy as in they both look like junk for Central and Western parts of the forum, yes.

We'd probably get more on the GEM model. GGEM has the lake enhancement wild card also nicely. Delta Ts would be pretty high.

Looks like we are heading for a bit more than a nuisance system. Big enough system to remind us winter isn't over yet.

Archived