Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Snow to ice to wind driven rain discussion/obs 2/23-2/25 SNE CNE NNE

Ginx snewx

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow/sleet mix in Glen Ridge, NJ. Coming down moderately. Nice to see some snowflakes in the air; the second half of February has been brutal despite all the proclamations of an excellent February pattern.

Second half is only a week old, and that wasn't proclaimed as an excellent stretch. 

Looks a little less dire for Quebec's Eastern Townships where much of their syrup is produced, but still hammers northern Franklin and Somerset Counties in Maine.  A late winter tree-breaker is the worst for a sugary, as its not just the damage to trees but all the falling branches destroying the tubing network, with insufficient time to make repairs..

Tell me about it.  I went out on Sunday to finish up my tapping and discovered that a pine tree had been blown over with the CAA winds on 2/13.  I'm loosing out on three lines that have about 100 taps on them.  That's about 40-50 gallons of syrup so it does affect the pocketbook.  I may be able to get those lines partially back but in a smaller operation I'm busy moving or boiling sap.  In the larger operations up there with ice, you basically have to walk the lines and fix any damage and you lose production.  Hopefully VT & NY make up for any loss.  :)

Tell me about it.  I went out on Sunday to finish up my tapping and discovered that a pine tree had been blown over with the CAA winds on 2/13.  I'm loosing out on three lines that have about 100 taps on them.  That's about 40-50 gallons of syrup so it does affect the pocketbook.  I may be able to get those lines partially back but in a smaller operation I'm busy moving or boiling sap.  In the larger operations up there with ice, you basically have to walk the lines and fix any damage and you lose production.  Hopefully VT & NY make up for any loss.  :)

Might want to try a wallet

RAP keeps all snow through about 06z in the pike region northward...so it's possible there is a nice thump late this evening there. Something we'll have to watch.

Euro was really paltry, but given other guidance, maybe it's wrong. RGEM kind of liked this idea too.

RAP keeps all snow through about 06z in the pike region northward...so it's possible there is a nice thump late this evening there. Something we'll have to watch.

Euro was really paltry, but given other guidance, maybe it's wrong. RGEM kind of liked this idea too.

Does RAP show much freezing rain?

BOX temps are colder than I had though for all of Weds

Does RAP show much freezing rain?

BOX temps are colder than I had though for all of Weds

It only goes to 12h on the maps I was looking at and it's still snowing at 06z N of the pike...but I would bet there's some ZR when it flips...if it flips before that time in reality.

Archived