Newest Member
    joxey
Snow to ice to wind driven rain discussion/obs 2/23-2/25 SNE CNE NNE

Ginx snewx

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean most of us. 

1-3 SW Ct and 1 inch HFD north as dry air eats it.

This is 100% a meh event today

better to have had than never had, lol you turn more than a free skater going for the gold, its a funny psychosis. it has been a front end to ice to eventually heavy rain with maybe a flip back to snow for some for days. 

Will have to wait for accumulation maps, I think it's less than that south of CT/MA border. It definitely cut back for BOS as well, maybe bumped up for extreme NMA/SVT/SNH.

Accumulation also includes ice so when you see those maps on Tropical Tidbits don't be fooled. if you could see Bufkit for rGEM that would be more telling. rGEM is good a low levels for this. I am interested in how much ice it puts out for our friends as this is not just strictly a snow thread rather an event from start to finish. I know some don't care about anything but snow but this multifaceted system has it all.

Well well well ...  we got ourselves a humdinger of a multi-faceted menace, don't we? 

I've used the FRH (FOUS) numbers for many years; so long that I've got a pretty clear impression of what sensible impacts will be just from glancing over grid values.  This is a smoking gun 'close to warning ice storm for interior favored climos.  In fact, there could even be accretion still occurring out around Orange Mass, while Provindence, RI is nearing 60 F. 

But, the warm air will win in these affairs ... even in said tough interior zones that will be the case.  There is simply too much s mechanical wind velocity, in the key sigma levels not too, and with that much mlv forcing going west of New England, it will obliterate the critical depths that provide the mass for any ageostrophic flow.  

But, we will still have to contend with that until the big warm push takes place.  So, we.. got a bit of duration to the totality of the event as we translate through a microcosm of seasonal variance.

Winter, with snow to ice in solid advisory/bordering ice-warn, to fog and drizzle and mad dripping of glazing, to sudden cloud streets and dramatically milder air, to possibly ending it all as a squall with embedded wind issues.  

I'm noticing that LIs are actually down beneath 0 late Thursday..   Again, this all strikes me quite similarly to the event last week, where we awoke to heavy glazing setting the landscape aglow, only to have it erode out with extreme rapidity and temps soared to 55 by sundown.  Although, this may actually be more extreme on either side just because the whole of thing is stronger.  

Accumulation also includes ice so when you see those maps on Tropical Tidbits don't be fooled. if you could see Bufkit for rGEM that would be more telling. rGEM is good a low levels for this. I am interested in how much ice it puts out for our friends as this is not just strictly a snow thread rather an event from start to finish. I know some don't care about anything but snow but this multifaceted system has it all.

It cut back on total qpf from 6z, not just snow, and I did say SNE didn't I? I suppose it could be interesting in the Berks for ice, but outside of that it looks like a CNE/NNE event to me outside of an inch or two of snow/pellets and then rain.

better to have had than never had, lol you turn more than a free skater going for the gold, its a funny psychosis. it has been a front end to ice to eventually heavy rain with maybe a flip back to snow for some for days. 

yup for some days now, he can DREAM ON...oh wait

Well well well ...  we got ourselves a humdinger of a multi-faceted menace, don't we? 

I've used the FRH (FOUS) numbers for many years; so long that I've got a pretty clear impression of what sensible impacts will be just from glancing over grid values.  This is a smoking gun 'close to warning ice storm for interior favored climos.  In fact, there could even be accretion still occurring out around Orange Mass, while Provindence, RI is nearing 60 F. 

But, the warm air will win in these affairs ... even in said tough interior zones that will be the case.  There is simply too much s mechanical wind velocity, in the key sigma levels not too, and with that much mlv forcing going west of New England, it will obliterate the critical depths that provide the mass for any ageostrophic flow.  

But, we will still have to contend with that until the big warm push takes place.  So, we.. got a bit of duration to the totality of the event as we translate through a microcosm of seasonal variance.

Winter, with snow to ice in solid advisory/bordering ice-warn, to fog and drizzle and mad dripping of glazing, to sudden cloud streets and dramatically milder air, to possibly ending it all as a squall with embedded wind issues.  

I'm noticing that LIs are actually down beneath 0 late Thursday..   Again, this all strikes me quite similarly to the event last week, where we awoke to heavy glazing setting the landscape aglow, only to have it erode out with extreme rapidity and temps soared to 55 by sundown.  Although, this may actually be more extreme on either side just because the whole of thing is stronger.  

Great synopsis of this, beginning to wonder what the backside brings for winds and possible snow from ORH north

Maple syrup producers won't like the Nam suite FRZRN 

Looks a little less dire for Quebec's Eastern Townships where much of their syrup is produced, but still hammers northern Franklin and Somerset Counties in Maine.  A late winter tree-breaker is the worst for a sugary, as its not just the damage to trees but all the falling branches destroying the tubing network, with insufficient time to make repairs..

Great synopsis of this, beginning to wonder what the backside brings for winds and possible snow from ORH north

yeah, i've been noticing that too - tough to want to discuss much having to do with snow these days.  Ha.

but there's a pig punch of vorticity advection rocketing curvilinearly E then N off the Del Marve on the back side of the primary cyclone, and it does seem the models are hinting at an odd-ball kind of norlan response there.   interesting either way -

yeah, i've been noticing that too - tough to want to discuss much having to do with snow these days.  Ha.

but there's a pig punch of vorticity advection rocketing curvilinearly E then N off the Del Marve on the back side of the primary cyclone, and it does seem the models are hinting at an odd-ball kind of norlan response there.   interesting either way -

Basically a sub Arctic front shown now comes roaring through, excellent CAA setup, will be a night of roaring winds making it feel and sound like winter at least.

Archived