joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Low topped squall line overnight Wednesday into Thursday

weatherwiz

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, we didn't miss out up along Rt 2 here, either.   Not sure about severe reports - per se - but we had a lot of freak lightning (certainly for what is common to February's); and we are talking multi-pulse illumination and sleep preventative booms.  This actually went on for a over an hour, too.   We got some wind but it wasn't clear what was associated to up-down CAPE and what may have just been gradient/gusting in warm sector... It was a tad unnerving because when I crashed, there were tor watches and even an issuance of a thunderstorm watch up into southern zones.  

Which, that was also among the, if not the, most fantastic warm whip frontal passages I ever recall.   The Oxbow weather station sets about 3 miles from my pad as the crow flies, and shortly after 12 am it registered a 25 F jump within that hour - the observation post doesn't go down to the minute, unfortunately.. But I can attest to that; we literally went from a dead calm at about 37 F at my place, to tree swaying turbines in short sleeve weather inside of 10 or even 5 minutes.  Utterly stunning...

500-1000 J/KG of MUcape, 100 J/KG of MLcape, LI near 0, convection right on he nose of a 100 knot MLJ streak, region in the RFQ of a very potent ULJ, decent lapse rates, impressive WAA...it all came together!!

Great call Wiz! It was an amazing storm to say the least.

From 10:00-11 I went from 39 to 57....reaching a max of 62 at 2am. I was up all night thinking trees were coming down. Lost power for a few hours too.

That by far exceeded expectations. That was one heck of a warm sector which was primed with the right amount of instability for that to happen. The 100+ 500mb jet stream too I think played a substantial role in this as well as it provided a tremendous amount of lift. The storm tops were definitely not really low topped.

Let's see if we can do it again soon lol

not to be greedy but ... that deal at 120 hours streaking from the Lakes through NNE, just on the surface that looks like a candidate for a thin line, or perhaps segments of lines, with gusty winds and pea-hailers ...  

Most guidance seem to have come into a focus for timing and track of a flat, open-wave, but potent jet streak cutting through central/NNE, and that puts NY/N PA into southern NE up under the right exit region of the mid level wind acceleration, combined with height falls with the fast translating wave.  

there's not much CAPE there, but modest CAPE can go a long way when forcing comes with it.

i recall a February wave like that producing once up at UML.  very similar...  we had gusty almost dry-like winds and a mild'ish 55 F afternoon going on, when a fast moving brief squall came through with microburst to 60 mph and small hail - i know this sort of thing can happen.  

may yet get a gusty shower this afternoon... 

looks like we are left in a quasi warm sector as new c-frontogen is taking place west of the region, and west of this clear slot.  DPs are in the low 50s and temps are entering the low 60s...  meanwhile, hi res vis shows what appear to be CB heads over eastern Ny

From 10:00-11 I went from 39 to 57....reaching a max of 62 at 2am. I was up all night thinking trees were coming down. Lost power for a few hours too.

From 5:45 PM to when the TS went through 9 hours later, our temp rose from 32.0 to 32.1.   :lmao:   (And was still 32.5 when I left home at 7 this morning.

In early April 2010, PWM jumped from 59 to 84 in 10 minutes.  That, however, was strong SW winds beating back the sea breeze.  Like a reverse BD.

From 5:45 PM to when the TS went through 9 hours later, our temp rose from 32.0 to 32.1.   :lmao:   (And was still 32.5 when I left home at 7 this morning.

In early April 2010, PWM jumped from 59 to 84 in 10 minutes.  That, however, was strong SW winds beating back the sea breeze.  Like a reverse BD.

AUG managed to jump 32 to 50 in an hour and gust to 46 mph.

Great event, first SVRs for NH and ME since 2/22/97

Archived