joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Low topped squall line overnight Wednesday into Thursday

weatherwiz

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean seeing ASOS after ASOS jump 10-20 degrees in an hour as the warm front lifted really should have been a red flag that the boundary layer was supportive of at least marginally severe winds. 

when I blew past 60 early i knew things were going to be rough. the usual winter howl jet sounds way above my head were just above tree top then when the Tstorms came through they were ground level. we had either a wet microburst or something on my hillside. Amazingly didn't lose power although the next town over did. **** was banging off the house hard. Intense storm

when I blew past 60 early i knew things were going to be rough. the usual winter howl jet sounds way above my head were just above tree top then when the Tstorms came through they were ground level. we had either a wet microburst or something on my hillside. Amazingly didn't lose power although the next town over did. **** was banging off the house hard. Intense storm

Right, just before the line you're still inverted, albeit slightly at those warm temps. Mechanical turbulence isn't enough to generate big gusts, but add a little convection and you easily overcome that inversion.

This guy off Mackworth Island definitely woke me up last night too. I was sort of awake already, and saw the flash through my eyelids even. Nice positive CG roof rattling thunder followed immediately after that. 

attachicon.gifLTG.jpeg

I was on the Eastern Prom ... that was the bolt that jolted me awake, never to return to slumber :(

All the forecast radars have been showing 2 lines but I think it's gonna be an average of the 2 and just 1 main line/batch. 

The two lines ended up being reality. Forecasts showed a nice shortwave ripping up through SNE, and it looks like what ended up happening was that the leading line was a WAA wing of heavy showers/storms, with the trailing line being the actual squall line. Much like you would see in a well developed MCS.

In my location, it was definitely those discrete cells firing ahead of the main squall line that produced the heaviest wind gusts. Those discrete cells ripping due north with almost a slightly west pivot from Li sound merged with the main line near and just east of Hartford and that seems to be where the heaviest winds occurred.

I had more CGs in 10 minutes than all of last summer. 

I was a amazed at how electrified that was...  And it wasn't like lazy CC with slow grumbling radiating around ... the sound phrases were crispy and loud - like that fresh whack coming out of a July 15 TCU...  But yeah...lots of them, too - wind, sheets of rain.

definitely a freak event ... I really think that should be worthy of some sort of hind-sight overview.  Was that some sort of el nino correlation type thing... I mean, this whole season as a whole, with the seemingly engineered destructive wave interfering all of it seems anomalous.  interesting...

CTValleySnowMan, on 25 Feb 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

In my location, it was definitely those discrete cells firing ahead of the main squall line that produced the heaviest wind gusts. Those discrete cells ripping due north with almost a slightly west pivot from Li sound merged with the main line near and just east of Hartford and that seems to be where the heaviest winds occurred.

Last night was a mix of brief lull's followed by intense wind gusts and more thunder/lightning. And this cycled on and off for about one hour between 1-2am.

I was a amazed at how electrified that was...  And it wasn't like lazy CC with slow grumbling radiating around ... the sound phrases were crispy and loud - like that fresh whack coming out of a July 15 TCU...  But yeah...lots of them, too - wind, sheets of rain.

definitely a freak event ... I really think that should be worthy of some sort of hind-sight overview.  Was that some sort of el nino correlation type thing... I mean, this whole season as a whole, with the seemingly engineered destructive wave interfering all of it seems anomalous.  interesting...

Checking the ALY sounding at 00z, assuming a lower topped cool season event, 850-500 mb lapse rates were 6.5 C/km. I mean that's not bad for July around here.

folks of the convective ilk may want to pay attention to that D4/5 deal...

i mentioned this awhile ago, and now these 12z guidance are in concert showing a very strong continuity and trend toward an amplified narrow latitude wave/low pressure and coherent sectors moving quickly through the Lakes and NNE.  

it wouldn't be a CAPEy scenario...no, but the mechanics are impressive and may offset by having deep forcing.  

Took me until about 5 before I could settle down last night. What I found most interesting was the intensity of the lightning, even though there were very few loud claps of thunder to go with the light show. I think the individual cells that formed ahead of the main squall line were actually more intense, at least for us. Either way, that was one crazy night and I'm thankful I got a chance to witness something so historic. I'm shocked we didn't lose power!

I was up on the top of the hill in Danvers last night, and it was wild. Highlight of the "winter" for me, and I'm not really kidding. Never really did get back to sleep.

Archived