joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Low topped squall line overnight Wednesday into Thursday

weatherwiz

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was a fun little event wasn't it. I'm sure half the damage from this hasn't been reported or won't be until the we get some light. I'm too tired to drive around town right now but I bet I'll find some medium limbs and a lot of small branches scattered around town. I think those storms along a line extending from Prov to Bos got the best show for Eastern NE. Storms will continue for SE MA but looks like lightning has peaked and radar calming down slightly. Roughly 70 wind reports on Tauntons page right now. Probably will end up with around 100 when all said and done I bet. Not bad at all. I saw some good lightning but no strobe show like you guys speak of around Boston. 

Just drove over the mountain in Stafford down rt 190 towards Somers.  Unless my eyes deceived me in the darkness, it looked like something significant occurred as there is a narrow gap of trees down through the woods perpendicular to the road.  Possible microburst?  State police, utilities, and Fox61 news truck were there filming.  Power is out in both parts of Stafford and Somers.

The thunder sounded different than typical summer thunder.

Agree...One of the mets on Twitter was saying that the thunder was louder and lasted longer because of the lack of foliage on the tress to dampen it.  Not sure about that, but it definitely sounded different than a summer storm.

What a night though.  Tough to sleep.  Could definitely hear tress snapping and falling in he woods behind my house.  Never lost poer though (good job Taunton Municipal Lighting Plant)

Agree...One of the mets on Twitter was saying that the thunder was louder and lasted longer because of the lack of foliage on the tress to dampen it.  Not sure about that, but it definitely sounded different than a summer storm.

What a night though.  Tough to sleep.  Could definitely hear tress snapping and falling in he woods behind my house.  Never lost poer though (good job Taunton Municipal Lighting Plant)

Probably more due to inversion to be honest. I thought the opposite. I could see close strikes with thunder not too loud, and strikes maybe a few miles away that sounded like it was in my back yard. That's usually due to ducting from temp inversion.

Probably more due to inversion to be honest. I thought the opposite. I could see close strikes with thunder not too loud, and strikes maybe a few miles away that sounded like it was in my back yard. That's usually due to ducting from temp inversion.

interesting we had a couple of loud claps, but lots of close lightning with no thunder, dogs were staring at the lightning waiting for the thunder that never arrived

Archived