• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Late Feb/March Med/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

Some good agreement with the npac shifting back to a favorable setup for below normal in the east starting the 3rd week of March. Probably will be nothing more than an annoying chill after some nice warm stuff but anyone holding out hope for another chance at wintry may like the trends.

If any snow does fall after daylight savings time, we should probably count it for 16/17... it may need the help.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some good agreement with the npac shifting back to a favorable setup for below normal in the east starting the 3rd week of March. Probably will be nothing more than an annoying chill after some nice warm stuff but anyone holding out hope for another chance at wintry may like the trends.

When I saw you had made the last post in this thread I knew it wasn't going to be good news.  

Oh well, if we are going the BN route, let's just go whole hog.  Let's do -25 departure and mega storm.  March '93 showing up yet?

When I saw you had made the last post in this thread I knew it wasn't going to be good news.  

Oh well, if we are going the BN route, let's just go whole hog.  Let's do -25 departure and mega storm.  March '93 showing up yet?

It's way out there but now showing on the eps, para eps, and gefs. A lot of ridging in the ak/npac area so I could easily see some well below normal hp's drop down if the ensembles have the right idea. Late march snow is very hard to come by either way. I doubt we see the type of departures anywhere near what we saw the last couple years. 

EPS/Para EPS both show the 850 0c line into MD at the end of the runs. 0z GEFS much colder than that. Considering the spread that far out, there must be some pretty cold solutions in the mix. Personally, I'm over it and am rooting for seasonal temps. I don't need big + days. Just plenty of 50-60s and no maritime flow would be just fine with me. 

I am still keeping one eye on it, but where I live there is more of a realistic reason to.  I am not pouring over every run though, were talking out in unicorn range still plus the time of year making it a low probability threat window even if everything lines up right, but I do a quick scan of all the long range ensemble guidance once a day and as you said things seem to be lining up for a period where the Pacific goes back to a configuration that would allow the trough to get back into the east, with the STJ undercutting blocking to our north.  I am not going to post much though since it probably would just annoy most on here who seem to have fully moved on to spring.  Don't be shocked if things turn colder and miserable towards the last 10 days of the month though.  

I am still keeping one eye on it, but where I live there is more of a realistic reason to.  I am not pouring over every run though, were talking out in unicorn range still plus the time of year making it a low probability threat window even if everything lines up right, but I do a quick scan of all the long range ensemble guidance once a day and as you said things seem to be lining up for a period where the Pacific goes back to a configuration that would allow the trough to get back into the east, with the STJ undercutting blocking to our north.  I am not going to post much though since it probably would just annoy most on here who seem to have fully moved on to spring.  Don't be shocked if things turn colder and miserable towards the last 10 days of the month though.  

March and most of April are the typical transition months where you get bipolar weather. And bipolar posters. lol

12 GEFS kept the idea. A bit of a ridge sandwich on both coasts of Canada that looks to put the squeeze on a cold hp to drop down. Very much in line with the eps twins from 0z. 

The only weather I don't like in March is foggy/dreary/drizzly for 3+ days. Hopefully we don't get a blocked hp parked off the coast of Maine...

March and most of April are the typical transition months where you get bipolar weather. And bipolar posters. lol

12 GEFS kept the idea. A bit of a ridge sandwich on both coasts of Canada that looks to put the squeeze on a cold hp to drop down. Very much in line with the eps twins from 0z. 

The only weather I don't like in March is foggy/dreary/drizzly for 3+ days. Hopefully we don't get a blocked hp parked off the coast of Maine...

Yeah, not expecting really anything later this month but it could potentially be more interesting if things work out just right (yeah, sure, haha!).  I don't think we see anything more than a flake or two at the tail end of some kind of cold rain event, at least near the metro areas.  Of course, if we can get a March 25 type of snow like in 2013 or 2014 that wouldn't be bad and I'd be all in for it!

I don't like the bipolar spring weather you can get here either.  It can go from 70s and very nice out...then the winds shift to the E-NE...and you can socked in with fog, drizzle, and mid-40s for days.  Bleah!  Terrible softball weather, that's for sure (been there, done that, have many a T-shirt)!  That was perhaps one of the biggest things it took me awhile to get used to around here in April and May...even into early June sometimes.

The PARA GFS continues to show a pretty heavy signal towards a -NAO. Would be standard for us to finally get a nice block at the end of March/early April. Seems to happen so often.

Oh, without fail, all warm winters love to come to an end with a Greenland block in April, just when everyone wants spring. I have no doubt the NAO will decide to go severely negative in about 3 weeks give or take

Look for a possible late March early April Snow storm. Several nino years featured this. Some notable ones were March 30 2003 2-10", April 2-5 1987(2 to 5 feet southern Apps lower to higher elevations respectively), April 18 1983 2-10" fell from Alabama to Virginia. Late May 1992 5 feet in the highest elevations of the Smokies.

Look for a possible late March early April Snow storm. Several nino years featured this. Some notable ones were March 30 2003 2-10", April 2-5 1987(2 to 5 feet southern Apps lower to higher elevations respectively), April 18 1983 2-10" fell from Alabama to Virginia. Late May 1992 5 feet in the highest elevations of the Smokies.

Got it, 5 feet of snow coming in early April.  Starting preparations now.

Archived