• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Late Feb/March Med/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

or have a closed ULL track right below us or on top of us. I saw the Carolinas a few years ago get historic snow while we were partly cloudy and mid 40's":(

that could happen since it's a supernino

hi leesburg

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sort of but more like no winter at all door to door.

with all the warmth in the other sst regions if all things were equal but less Nino maybe it would be a torch. We assume the Nino was the problem but really we had our best periods when the soi dropped. When the soi was more Niña like we torched. Perhaps all that saved us was the Nino forcing helping to promote a trough in the east at times or else it would have been dec wall to wall.

I'm surprised no mention of the 18z gefs. Trended towards semi interesting during the d13+ range. Prob running out of time but it's still the first half of march.

I'm expecting something to pop up in mid March given the ridging up in Canada and the stj on roofs coming up. But I am skeptical we will have enough cold but I am still keeping one eye on it. I don't expect models to resolve it for a while though.

last nigths EPS really backed off on the look mid march.  GEFS also lost it on the 6z run.  Have to see if it holds but they both squash the STJ down into the gulf and continue the ridging acoss the mid lattitudes straight through.  Would be warm at least. 

Yea, not looking too exciting anymore. Not that it looked great to begin with but the trend towards another chance was starting to show. Until the last couple years I've typically drawn the imaginary date line of 3/10 in my yard for caring about snow. I'm ready to move on from this year already. 

I'm rooting for mild mid-late March  where dreary backdoor fronts and drizzly maritime air is totally absent. 

Yea, not looking too exciting anymore. Not that it looked great to begin with but the trend towards another chance was starting to show. Until the last couple years I've typically drawn the imaginary date line of 3/10 in my yard for caring about snow. I'm ready to move on from this year already. 

I'm rooting for mild mid-late March  where dreary backdoor fronts and drizzly maritime air is totally absent. 

yep...just saw the eps. big step back. Looks warm and zonal. The pac looked awful

Interestingly...march of 99 period is showing up on CPC d11+. There's a march 58 date in there too but out of reach using the 3 day centered mean. 

Pac not very cooperative even with nice high lats. 1999 has been showing up fairly consistently along with 2010, though some 2010 hits are March when it was warm despite -NAO. I think by this time of year the NAO doesn't necessarily help a whole lot. Not a cold look for sure.. more like a near normal look overall.

Pac not very cooperative even with nice high lats. 1999 has been showing up fairly consistently along with 2010, though some 2010 hits are March when it was warm despite -NAO. I think by this time of year the NAO doesn't necessarily help a whole lot. Not a cold look for sure.. more like a near normal look overall.

As said by others, it would be some sort of bowling ball making the most of what's available. Which of course is a low probability event. Last 2 years had abundant cold available. Definitely not going to be the case this year. Mid-late month is a long ways off. I'm not watching with much interest until if/when something specific pops up. 

Maybe we get nw track bowling ball and the severe thread gets active ;)

As said by others, it would be some sort of bowling ball making the most of what's available. Which of course is a low probability event. Last 2 years had abundant cold available. Definitely not going to be the case this year. Mid-late month is a long ways off. I'm not watching with much interest until if/when something specific pops up. 

we're most likely done after friday around here except perhaps some flakes in the air but that's an easy call most years by this time.

Actually the NAO correlation is pretty strong in March but the problem is the PAC is king right now. The EPO going positive is going to flood the mid latitudes with warmth and the NAO cant fight that off this year whith the Nino.  If a year where the pacific is less dominant on the pattern perhaps it would be different.  I still am not tossing the rest of the month just over one run of the models.  But I already have admitted that given the pacific getting enough cold is going to be a lottery type long shot.  We will need a perfect bombing system and just get lucky. 

So do you feel lucky..............................    PUNK 

You echo my thoughts as usual.  Our only remaining hope is a march 58 kind of H5 low cutting off and bombing over us.  It was before most of our times but that storm started out as a warmish rain everywhere type system then transitioned to snow as the storm bombed out and created its own cold.  Super rare type event for sure but it has been over 5 decades so perhaps were due.  

Actually the NAO correlation is pretty strong in March but the problem is the PAC is king right now. The EPO going positive is going to flood the mid latitudes with warmth and the NAO cant fight that off this year whith the Nino.  If a year where the pacific is less dominant on the pattern perhaps it would be different.  I still am not tossing the rest of the month just over one run of the models.  But I already have admitted that given the pacific getting enough cold is going to be a lottery type long shot.  We will need a perfect bombing system and just get lucky. 

So do you feel lucky..............................    PUNK 

Well that's not really what I meant. I meant more it's not quite as 'sure' a thing as during the heart of winter. 2010 had a good -NAO in March and it was warm.

Well that's not really what I meant. I meant more it's not quite as 'sure' a thing as during the heart of winter. 2010 had a good -NAO in March and it was warm.

I agree you need more to go right in March then just one telleconnection, but part of that could also be that a good pattern that doesn't produce in January will probably at least be cold and have some snow even if its just pity flakes.  In march we can have a great 10 day pattern but if a storm doesn't hit just right it ends up being 50 degrees each day and no one even realizes it was close to something good.  2010 falls in that category.  There were two chances I can remember, one was excellent early in the month, where the storm just didnt work out.  In the one cast it cut, in the other a perfect trough got wasted because a front runner took the energy OTS then the second wave got suppressed.   In that case while it was snowing in NC we were 50 degrees and had no idea how close we were to a big snowstorm had the two peices phased instead of pinwheeled.  In march a good pattern that just doesn't produce isnt much different from a bad one in terms of ground truth.   

Archived