joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine - 3rd times a charm

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I apologize. I guess I stand corrected. I remember many on here out in Eastern Mass saying it didn't deliver as much as advertised. For the Cape and other areas it looks like it was intense for a while. My Mistake. It was a nice lil event here with almost 6 inches. Plus I completely forgot about that far SE areas did have a blizzard warning for that one. Again, I apologize for sounding dismissive and for assuming you didn't understand what a blizzard was being from NC. My Bad.

Thanks for the apology, although I completely understood where you were coming from.  The forecast (just hours before the snows commenced) was 12-18" for all of the eastern areas from Hull to the Cape, so in that regard, it wasn't what was forecast.  If it hadn't been for the intense rates and blasting winds creating almost zero visibility at the peak of the blizzard conditions, I would've been disappointed considering I had driven 970 miles to get there.  Hopefully, you guys get another high-impact event very soon, and I can visit again to join in the fun!   

Where is the northern stream vort when you want one

Exactly. This year, if it's not one thing, it's another. As Ray and others have said.....Frustration is the Tenor for this winter season. If we only had this or that each time, it would have been a great winter. But Alas, it's not to be.

And these two events seem to be no different than all the other missed opportunities unfortunately. Unless something changes over the next few days...which of course it could. But not expecting it at all.

Exactly. This year, if it's not one thing, it's another. As Ray and others have said.....Frustration is the Tenor for this winter season. If we only had this or that each time, it would have been a great winter. But Alas, it's not to be.

And these two events seem to be no different than all the other missed opportunities unfortunately. Unless something changes over the next few days...which of course it could. But not expecting it at all.

St Agatha north received 6"+ from yesterdays and todays system up there, There and the mtns are going to cash again weds with 6-12", At least there is winter in Northern Maine and some riding as well

Perhaps we can get unimaginatively lucky over the next 7 days ...and then, the signal gets louder. 

That 12z Euro has D9, 850 mb T's nudging 15C of portions of the OV... posed to roll in here too.. 

That sort of reminding me of march 1998, that sort of look leading up to the 29th - 31th of that month.  The Merrimack Valley put up an 87, 90, and 91 on those three days, with DPs never over 40... Bizarre, only surpassed by the unholy BD that roared through the evening hours of the 30th, too -truly epic BD.  ...or it may have been 28-30th?  anyway, that BD was and still is the greatest whiplash temperature event for 24 hours by pure statistical measure I've been a part of.  It 39.5 the next afternoon ..

Perhaps we can get unimaginatively lucky over the next 7 days ...and then, the signal gets louder.

That 12z Euro has D9, 850 mb T's nudging 15C of portions of the OV... posed to roll in here too..

That sort of reminding me of march 1998, that sort of look leading up to the 29th - 31th of that month. The Merrimack Valley put up an 87, 90, and 91 on those three days, with DPs never over 40... Bizarre, only surpassed by the unholy BD that roared through the evening hours of the 30th, too -truly epic BD. ...or it may have been 28-30th? anyway, that BD was and still is the greatest whiplash temperature event for 24 hours by pure statistical measure I've been a part of. It 39.5 the next afternoon ..

Albany went from 86 degrees to 32 and 14 inches of snow within 24 hours in April 2000 I believe

Euro ensembles definitely bumped NW from 00z for Friday night event. Scraper for SE MA.

Still needs a lot of work though for a meaningful hit on the region as a whole. But get another tick or two like that and it becomes very interesting.

The hell with the rest of the region.  Seasonal trend has been for us.   :gun:

and per Will's mentioning the Euro ensemble trend...

Comparing the 00z and 12z: the GFS members trended massively toward a deeper system, also more NW at the weekender - hate to say ...and I know most have nothing left in the tanks but sarcasm and ridicule, but, a few of those members bring a severe winter event to CT/RI/SE mass, with moderate to S VT/NH/ME.  There are still enough flattish members that the mean is a feather brush/miss, but that was a huge trend to assume it can't tick more tonight. 

We also should be vigil of the age old data-sparse/assimilation concern as the governing mechanics relay off the Pacific... Friday's do on board tomorrow night in this a fast flat amplitude regime, and that could modulate everything further when that happens.  These type of quasi zonal amped flows are notorious performance headaches to the guidance'

Albany went from 86 degrees to 32 and 14 inches of snow within 24 hours in April 2000 I believe

That was one of my favorite events from high school near ALB. It wasn't that warm, I think it hit 70F with soccer practice in shorts on Saturday, followed by snowblowing 12" off the driveway by noon on Sunday. Even when we went to bed it was like 48F and the chances for big snow seemed far off, but sure enough awoke to 1-2"/hr and it piled up quick that morning.

That was one where it came so hard and fast that the wet, warm ground argument held no weight, even roads had same accums as lawns. When it goes to a couple inches per hour it doesn't matter how warm it was the day prior.

Archived