Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Model Mezzanine - 3rd times a charm

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing how many snow events ALB has had this winter between 120 and 168hrs on the guidance.  Even if you want to say it's because we have several global models run multiple times a day(which is a good point), that doesn't fully explain it.  Choose only the once-a-day 12z runs at any time from beyond 72hrs on any model and the average modeled output at ALB would be 30"+ for the year. 

Instead we sit at 8", which has really been much closer to 0" than it would seem.  10 or so "events" adding to single digits with slant sticking in full effect at the airport.  It's barely snowed at 3k feet in the Catskills.

Wow that's a monster hit on the GGEM....of course too bad it's 6 days out.

Can't say there's been nothing to track this winter.  The event's are perpetually 6 or 7 days out.

One thing I like at this juncture is the flow looks comparably less chaotic than normal for this winter.  The fewer shortwaves the better.  The big negative is how different the GFS looks even 72 hours out. 

The issue is even if the gfs caves.....if the other models cave say even 30% (snowier versions) it becomes much less of a snow event on those models. The gfs has been pretty wild lately, so hopefully it's lost at the moment. Still a bit concerning. The Canadian wouldn't sway me either way this far out....although it's good to see it Not whiffing.

The issue is even if the gfs caves.....if the other models cave say even 30% (snowier versions) it becomes much less of a snow event on those models. The gfs has been pretty wild lately, so hopefully it's lost at the moment. Still a bit concerning. The Canadian wouldn't sway me either way this far out....although it's good to see it Not whiffing.

Ukie doesnt have anything at 120 but it's building a low down south at 144. Interesting.

Ukie still says what storm, so it's not alone. But it looks like it might like the next one ala yesterday's 12z JMA. But that's extrapolating and who cares that far out.

A cutter and a whiff. About on par with the season's personality.

Though, I wouldn't put too much stock into what it shows. #itsgarbage

Its been over for awhile.

Representing the $hit cherry atop the proverbial frustration cake, I sit at only 4.6" above futility.

I would have gladly traded the inverted tough crap to see futility.

Looks as though you've finally come over the the dark (realistic) side....welcome.

I think there is one more shot after next weekend, but it could turn into literally nothing. It's just too far out to care, so it's boring until then if next weekend doesn't pan out, and then it looks like we're done barring a fluke event towards the end of the month.

I mean, yes I'll write off threats when I think they are done, and the season when I think that it's done. I haven't written off next weekend, I just don't give two shts what the ggem shows at 144 lol.

Wow that's a monster hit on the GGEM....of course too bad it's 6 days out.

not attempting to atone for any "monster" ness ... but i was mentioning in the other thread about ncep's views on that - they actually side with more robust system than the erstwhile blase appeals of the gefs and gfs - 

interesting...  

not attempting to atone for any "monster" ness ... but i was mentioning in the other thread about ncep's views on that - they actually side with more robust system than the erstwhile blase appeals of the gefs and gfs - 

interesting...  

I hope so.....I'd love to add one more wrong call to my rather lengthy lists of seasonal indictments :lol:

Archived