• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2016 Pattern

40/70 Benchmark

Ensemble and weeklies. Nothing screams snow to me, but the tendency to get weird blocky patterns mid to late March leads to those unexpected blue bombs...especially higher up.

Yup. The GEFS have seemed to hint at a relaxation of the EC ridge at the end of the last few runs, but as typical it is probably trying to rush it. When that happens something could pop. Doesn't have to be white of course.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ensemble and weeklies. Nothing screams snow to me, but the tendency to get weird blocky patterns mid to late March leads to those unexpected blue bombs...especially higher up.

Yeah it looks very cut-offy.

The torch also has some red flags. Some of these runs have shown HP to our north or northeast. SYR and AVP torch on that setup while we stay 20-25F colder. The euro scenario though would give us brilliant spring for a day or two.

The torch also has some red flags. Some of these runs have shown HP to our north or northeast. SYR and AVP torch on that setup while we stay 20-25F colder. The euro scenario though would give us brilliant spring for a day or two.

I'm hoping that we thread a needle and avoid the 2012 disaster with over a week of temperatures in 70s+ which caused the leaves to bud and put an end to the maple season.  Right now I think we'll make out OK.  I like that look with the high to our north.  That could give us some warm days but freezing nights.

Yes. The "pretty colors" on the 500 mb height anomalies can be a bit misleading! For instance the Euro has mid 70s at BDL on Wednesday and mid 40s on Thursday after the wind switches to easterly. 

Ironically, more snow here this month than some of our snowier winters.

Yeah, in Weymouth that might be the case. Here, I would estimate around 10" including the paste job which gave us about 4", and the other storm that gave us around 6". That, along with a couple of snows in Jan. and some cold to go along with it keeps this winter from totally flunking imo.

Usually nothing ever "screams snow" preceding large late season events....they have a tendency to just roar into existence at short leads....blocky pattern is all you need.

heh ... from what i'm looking once the 72 hour disturbance escapes the MA the entire N/A pattern is in the process of shifting, probably unable to shift very far back once that happens, too, when being objective about things - and that includes mid month.   Both anomalous swings can be huge in spring at our particular latitude ...anomalies tucked inside anomalies.. So obviously in any given March there should be a standing red flag -      

But the PNA flat lines at both American agencies, and the operational runs hugely agree in trends.  Plus, the NP is in AB phase out in time, and highly correlates to a warm CONUS.   

The 00z was like 4th run in the last 6th from the Euro where it fails to BD at all, and I was looking at the majority of the GFS ensembles and they are also showing an anomalous westerly flow over the Maritimes

still buying into that?   Models having been showing blocking for weeks that never comes

Backed off a bit, although it was really second half of month that showed any of that. Seems like GOAK trough now which will help keep  things mild and wet at times. You never know though....Nino weakening Springs have had some interior snow events late in season. April 87 and 98 come to mind. 98 was more Poconos and into VT I believe. Many people around here may remember late April 87.

Backed off a bit, although it was really second half of month that showed any of that. Seems like GOAK trough now which will help keep  things mild and wet at times. You never know though....Nino weakening Springs have had some interior snow events late in season. April 87 and 98 come to mind. 98 was more Poconos and into VT I believe. Many people around here may remember late April 87.

that is true-March 98 gave this area 4-5 inches on the 22nd or something like that after a mostly snowless winter.

With some serviceable cold around?

It's near average. So yeah, that time of the year if you get the cutoff in the right place, it may produce snow.

It's ridiculously far out though. Who knows if that blocking will materialize or not. Past similar patterns to the upcoming pattern have seen a round of blocking return (even if not long-lasting) in the 2nd half of March or early April on many occasions. Years included are 2003, 1966, 1995, 1961 and 2004. But some years like 2000 never really saw things flip back to colder (despite that one well-timed anafront bomb on 4/9)

It's near average. So yeah, that time of the year if you get the cutoff in the right place, it may produce snow.

It's ridiculously far out though. Who knows if that blocking will materialize or not. Past similar patterns to the upcoming pattern have seen a round of blocking return (even if not long-lasting) in the 2nd half of March or early April on many occasions. Years included are 2003, 1966, 1995, 1961 and 2004. But some years like 2000 never really saw things flip back to colder (despite that one well-timed anafront bomb on 4/9)

Well, at least the Morch stuff may calm down around that time. That's cool.

Wx like today's in Morch with no pack just blows. Dropping into the 20's all afternoon with big winds. No need for it. Morch in full effect from next week on cannot come soon enough

The seasonal transformation is occurring....not too long ago you'd have been loving it with CAA and wind ripping through the SNE hill country with dropping temps all day.

The seasonal transformation is occurring....not too long ago you'd have been loving it with CAA and wind ripping through the SNE hill country with dropping temps all day.

Very true. But once the snow is gone and/or I know there is no more chances of snow.. I want it warm by Morch. If it was early Feb.. I'd be loving it.. But Morch in my mind is not a cold wx month

Archived