• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2016 Pattern

40/70 Benchmark

This winter was better than 2012 IMHO even back here...yes, the Octo bomb was sick and I'll never forget it but the rest of the winter was deplorable. Basically, winter ended on Halloween that year and there was very little to look forward to all winter on the models...it always looked like garbage except for a fleeting moment in late January when February had a bit of promise...but that quickly faded. We at least had threats to track this winter once we got to early/mid January, even if many of them disappointed. We had more snow cover days this winter and obviously more snow in the actual met winter than that year. This year also had the notable cold shot.

Of course, "Grading" winters is subjective, but that's how I would stack up those two.

Even around here in SE NH it was better than 2011-2012. I know once you get to CON-north its a different story. The closest coop to me (W Hampstead) is basically the same both years after the Monday event. In 2012, we got 12" in October and 17" in March. Jan/Feb were terrible. We put up a T in Feb in 2012. This year it was more spread out over Dec-Mar.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This winter was better than 2012 IMHO even back here...yes, the Octo bomb was sick and I'll never forget it but the rest of the winter was deplorable. Basically, winter ended on Halloween that year and there was very little to look forward to all winter on the models...it always looked like garbage except for a fleeting moment in late January when February had a bit of promise...but that quickly faded. We at least had threats to track this winter once we got to early/mid January, even if many of them disappointed. We had more snow cover days this winter and obviously more snow in the actual met winter than that year. This year also had the notable cold shot.

Of course, "Grading" winters is subjective, but that's how I would stack up those two.

Agreed ---... 2011-2012 is king numero uno peerless for bad winter. 

1994-1995 comes in a close 2nd... followed perhaps by this one... but I'd argue some or one of those winters in the late 1980s were right up there.  ..i just seemed to recall being scorched by big w. Drag blizzards that never happened too often back then-

there's no ob thread for day like today but... wow, 60 to 65 across the area, and we're slated for 35 in those same locations (probably) tomorrow... and if the NAM/Euro are correct, perhaps punching back warm on Friday?

can't say that's not typical spring around here...  65, kill plants, 65 ... great place to live in the spring  :axe:

Even around here in SE NH it was better than 2011-2012. I know once you get to CON-north its a different story. The closest coop to me (W Hampstead) is basically the same both years after the Monday event. In 2012, we got 12" in October and 17" in March. Jan/Feb were terrible. We put up a T in Feb in 2012. This year it was more spread out over Dec-Mar.

You're not kidding. I had over twice as much snow in 11-12 than this winter.

You're not kidding. I had over twice as much snow in 11-12 than this winter.

Same here...over twice as much that winter including a 17.5" event in February. 6.5" on Christmas Day. Solid snow cover albeit light, all winter long. Still awful but had something.

This blows that out of the water, and that was already a very poor year.

Will and Dave had me looking at Mar 56 at Blue Hill. Over 52" that March...lol. Over 11" in April. Impressive.

All encompassing. The 2 Franklin COOPs ranged between 40-50" with many below 0F mornings...even the final week. No Morch that year. I like the 14" 3/16-17 followed by -15F.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-96F74942-FEC7-4BE9-98CD-FD109EFC2A18.pdf

All encompassing. The 2 Franklin COOPs ranged between 40-50" with many below 0F mornings...even the final week. No Morch that year. I like the 14" 3/16-17 followed by -15F.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-96F74942-FEC7-4BE9-98CD-FD109EFC2A18.pdf

Must not have been that all encompassing (;))as Mansfield shows below normal precip and below normal snowfall for March 1956.

Mansfield March normal precip is 5.9" and 1956 had 3.3" so must've been suppression depression.

BTV was ok with 28" of snow that month with a peak depth of 14".

As usual probably a different world back here if Blue Hills was getting crushed.

Must not have been that all encompassing ( ;))as Mansfield shows below normal precip and below normal snowfall for March 1956.

Mansfield March normal precip is 5.9" and 1956 had 3.3" so must've been suppression depression.

BTV was ok with 28" of snow that month with a peak depth of 14".

As usual probably a different world back here if Blue Hills was getting crushed.

Blue Hill stealing your snow since 1956.

I'm sure it goes back before that ;).

Until recently I just never really realized just *how* different like western New England is from eastern New England with regards to winter patterns.

It's not always like that of course...there are a ton of patterns where they get crushed in similar fashion. But years where you get late bloomers like last winter is when you see massive differences, or some of those SE suppressed patterns where PYM is jackpotting. Other times it crushes everyone like Jan/Feb 1958 or December 1970 or Dec 2007 (both top 3 Decembers in Boston and Mt. Mansfield...who woulda thunk that?)...or January 1994... Or Dec 2003...or Feb 1969.

Sometimes the line is close...like ORH getting destroyed in March 2001...just like Mt. Mansfield, but having it be relatively disappointing at BOS (still a solid month, just a bit of a tease)

Archived