• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2016 Pattern

40/70 Benchmark

I'm not sure what you guys are done by but my call from last week was that Wed- Fri would be 50's and 60's and Scooter started talking about cold NE flow. So far it seems on track if Your're not on the North Atlantic coast

You referenced Noyes' 50s-60s all week which is another terrible call by him. A quick search for Damage In Tolland posts from last week also reveals your assumption that models have 70s-80 at the end of this week, and also your 65-70 call for this weekend.  My posts said Wed or Thurs may be milder in the CT valley if there is no rain, but otherwise 50s-60s all week simply will not work out in most areas. 

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's too early to launch an April pattern thread (perhaps...), I'm still liking the last week of this month and into the first week of April for a deeper seasonal flip/turn around toward milder weather. 

the straight up read off the GEFs-derived indexes connotes neutralizing heights over western N/A during that time frame.  i'm also noticing subtle and not so subtle tendencies in the extended operational depictions to raise heights along the EC out there in time, with some members of ensemble clusters even opting for more of an eastern conus ridge/warm departure look.  so there's some head nodding between ensemble means and the typically more accurate operational members. ... may lend some confidence there...

can't forget it's spring, either, ...and we've seen whole-scale signals (meaning many mass-fields involved) fail - barring that ... thinking our next bona fide above normal and green-up initiator may be lurking in the < than 15 D extended.  whatever happens from this coastal ... that may be it.  of course, that doesn't prevent an April 15 cut-off dice roller, no - 

Thanks, would this indicate troughiness in the intermountain west and west coast during this period under a neutral or negative PNA.

Note necessarily ... it would be more likely to mean that if the PNA was more negative than what the GEFs derivatives are actually giving at this time.  

The PNA domain space is very large, encompassing much of the E Pacific and North American region of the hemisphere... a neutral PNA could still mean building some western heights; and in fact, even -PNA's can have ridging rolling through the Rockies at times. It's a matter of probability of that happening being lower in a -PNA and higher in a +PNA, and vice versa.   

Having said there, the PNA is scheduled in the GEFs mean to lose the positive and the NAO is forecast to also rise markedly post the 25th of the month. That's teaming up different statistical packages toward raising eastern heights.  

i knew the euro was going to do this...before even looking at the 12z run today, i knew it was going to plow deep warm sector air up into new england by the end of the same week that starts off with a deep winter coastal storm.   

80 a week from Saturday on that run - heh

i knew the euro was going to do this...before even looking at the 12z run today, i knew it was going to plow deep warm sector air up into new england by the end of the same week that starts off with a deep winter coastal storm.   

80 a week from Saturday on that run - heh

Sign me up!

Ahh yeah hard to tell from the picture. Hail is often translucent while graupel will just be solid white so that could be graupel actually.

Yesterday seemed more like a graupel type day to me. I'm not sure we were getting much recycling of hydrometeors in those showers yesterday.

That's what made our severe event the day before so interesting, we probably had a little bit of both going on. Even the hailstones I picked up were like halfway between hail and graupel. Half ice, half heavily rimed snow pellets.

Yesterday seemed more like a graupel type day to me. I'm not sure we were getting much recycling of hydrometeors in those showers yesterday.

That's what made our severe event the day before so interesting, we probably had a little bit of both going on. Even the hailstones I picked up were like halfway between hail and graupel. Half ice, half heavily rimed snow pellets.

Yeah that picture Dryslot had looked almost like quarter size graupel. Almost a solid white ball...don't see that very often for sure at that size.

Might want to watch mid week next week.

you damn Mainers better conjure up me at least an inch of snow, see the Euro has 2-4 Wed

Didn't want to clutter the other thread with talk of midweek, but quoted Ginxy too.

GFS isentropic plots have 50 knots ripping up from 850 to 700. I'll take that nice WAA punch for a quick hitting snowfall. Might be more impactful for far more of our CWA than this Monday storm.

Didn't want to clutter the other thread with talk of midweek, but quoted Ginxy too.

GFS isentropic plots have 50 knots ripping up from 850 to 700. I'll take that nice WAA punch for a quick hitting snowfall. Might be more impactful for far more of our CWA than this Monday storm.

Euro does look good for a 1-4" snowfall Tuesday night into Wednesday and maybe more on Wednesday night into Thursday?

It's got 0.4" QPF here for that 24-36 hour period.

As modeled that's one of the larger events of the season.

how we pray

Archived