• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2016 Pattern

40/70 Benchmark

I want to say I remember my dad saying it was a big storm in central ct but I cannot remember with certainty but sounds region wide...probably redeveloper miller b type

thanks for responding

It sounds like two events from what I see. Probably one low with a follow up larger one?

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be nice to get a good snowy December one of these seasons. For one it's nice for the holiday feel between Turkey and Christmas...but also gives that feeling of potential for the rest of the winter. It's one thing to bank on second half snow but sometimes nice to get snow early and hope for a huge season.

December 1970 was awesome. I can only imagine up your way. If we can get a weak Nina, it's certainly not out of the question next December is a good one.

Mid latitudes are really on the slope of seasonal recovery ...just about the steepest part of that curve as we pass now through equinox. 

The sun's ability to normalize llv gradients, unilaterally, increases by day, to the point where it gets really hard to establish any meaningful horizontal baroclinicity. This serves as a detriment to deeper storm development for a myriad of physical reasons... It's why often enough at this time of year, you'll see a tasty looking mid-level pattern evolution that would make a January drool, but scratch ur head as to why the surface evolution only shows a paltry low up underneath.  You need the "sharp" gradients and attending frontal tapestries, which is hard to do when the sun is zapping the air mass everywhere. 

That said, timing is everything... A "fresh" sort of cold insert into an availing cyclogenesis taking place fast, in a timely fashion can and sometimes does evolve a storm life-cycle that outpaces any normalization.  Most of the big latter March and April storms of lore featured that "air" of quickness, where cold doesn't have a chance to moderate and so forth.

The pattern around the equinox is a good candidate for at least setting that sort of table.  

One thing about modeling ... let us not forget that the GGEM and Euro have a west/deep bias in the extended (by a little, but enough to notice), whereas contrasting it can be argued the GFS is slightly progressive.  Whether all that results in another cutter or something more akin to what folks want (which is boggles my mind why ANYone would want snow now...), remains to be seen. 

Mid latitudes are really on the slope of seasonal recovery ...just about the steepest part of that curve as we pass now through equinox. 

The sun's ability to normalize llv gradients, unilaterally, increases by day, to the point where it gets really hard to establish any meaningful horizontal baroclinicity. This serves as a detriment to deeper storm development for a myriad of physical reasons... It's why often enough at this time of year, you'll see a tasty looking mid-level pattern evolution that would make a January drool, but scratch ur head as to why the surface evolution only shows a paltry low up underneath.  You need the "sharp" gradients and attending frontal tapestries, which is hard to do when the sun is zapping the air mass everywhere. 

That said, timing is everything... A "fresh" sort of cold insert into an availing cyclogenesis taking place fast, in a timely fashion can and sometimes does evolve a storm life-cycle that outpaces any normalization.  Most of the big latter March and April storms of lore featured that "air" of quickness, where cold doesn't have a chance to moderate and so forth.

The pattern around the equinox is a good candidate for at least setting that sort of table.  

One thing about modeling ... let us not forget that the GGEM and Euro have a west/deep bias in the extended (by a little, but enough to notice), whereas contrasting it can be argued the GFS is slightly progressive.  Whether all that results in another cutter or something more akin to what folks want (which is boggles my mind why ANYone would want snow now...), remains to be seen. 

Winter has been sending us this memo for weeks now..and finally the letter arrived in the mail today for most folks

Somewhere in the GL to OV to northern MA and NE will get an Equinox snowstorm.

Its been showing up pretty well on guidance. I'm rooting for an eduggs special.

If its a large event, great....but if its like 7", and 3" on paved surfaces....yea, he can have it.....better yet, the south coast and cape can have it.

The weather would be nicer here.

see I am not the only one who pokes fun at those kind of events

Honestly, if it isn't going to be worth it, I'd simply rather not suffer through the myriad of inconveniences that go along with the event and disrupt life.

I have too much going on right now to have to worry about clearing my driveway of a few inches of forgettability, and wiping the windshield clear of a wet coating of mediocrity.

Keep the bullet in the chamber of the pedestrian pistol.... I'll pass.

It'll be nice to see temps come down again soon with snow chances. Even highs in 40s with clouds and drizzle on Monday will be nice. Seasons back to behaving as they should. Awesome.

I'm all set with 40s and drizzle. It's nice for a few days in October or November in anticipation of the winter season and the holidays, but I'm all set with it by mid March - as if my preference has any effect on the weather.

I'm all set with 40s and drizzle. It's nice for a few days in October or November in anticipation of the winter season and the holidays, but I'm all set with it by mid March - as if my preference has any effect on the weather.

potentially 36 (or so...) straight hours of that, en route, Monday thru early Wednesday... 

Then, we get pointlessly cold (meaning, too cold to be spring, but not doing any winter storm entertainment any good) .. possibly for 10 straight days.   

Advice?   

find another hobby ...until further notice.   The next 2 weeks may as well be a prison term in ennui and misery - 

I still plan to be wealthy enough one day to just abandon this god-forsaken area of the world from mid March until May 1st every year.  

It would be nice to get a good snowy December one of these seasons. For one it's nice for the holiday feel between Turkey and Christmas...but also gives that feeling of potential for the rest of the winter. It's one thing to bank on second half snow but sometimes nice to get snow early and hope for a huge season.

Yeah I am still waiting for that big second half this year LOL. 

It'll be nice to see temps come down again soon with snow chances. Even highs in 40s with clouds and drizzle on Monday will be nice. Seasons back to behaving as they should. Awesome.

Totally agree, it feels unnatural and uncomfortable to have day after day in the 60s and 70s. People are acting like it's the usual transition to spring even though our average high doesn't hit 50F until appx. 3/20, 60F until appx. 4/10, and 70F until appx 5/10. All of this warmth is reflected in the rapidly developing vegetation.

I like seasons in seasons, and I'm going to enjoy 45F and rain tomorrow and I have not given up hope for snow in the 3/20-3/24 period as the EPO and NAO drop.

Archived