• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Presidents Day storm Part 2

Ji

Ok I see now. Surface temps are 32 at hr 69 but 850s are in the mid to upper 30s. But at hr 72 surface temps are a tick above freezing while 850s have crashed below. I was mostly looking at hr 69 when it looks like we'd be getting very cold rain, but I do see that there would be some back-end snow Tuesday morning.

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6z para gfs is a 3-5" front end and a pretty nasty ice storm in the favored zones.

The kicker digs under us and is very close to a nice event.

I was looking at that too Bob. The 2nd shortwave I think is being sampled but I can't confirm. Heard through grape vine on Twitter. I wonder if someone can back me up on this?

Looking at the 2m winds on the 12z NAM, as it had with the 06z, it shows easterly winds through our region as the storm comes in locking in the cold. If I remember correctly neither the Euro or GFS are showing this and have a more southerly component to the wind field and scour out the surface fairly quickly. Don't have the CMC specifics but would not be surprised if they mirror the NAM with the easterly wind. Think that is the difference we are seeing in the possibility of an ice storm.

6z para gfs is a 3-5" front end and a pretty nasty ice storm in the favored zones.

It looks like we're seeing some consensus with a 2-4/3-6 front end changing to a little bit of ZR and then rain. Biggest variable might be how long surface temps stay below freezing, especiallly in the N/W burbs, and where/if there will be significant ice.

Things look better this morning than last night when I hit the hay. 2-4 would be great with a slow transition. I cannot see a quick flip anywhere west of the bay with snow on the ground unless this really cuts west. I have lived here a long time and the CAD usually holds in these scenarios...the other scenario of waiting for the cold never works at least at my location

I was looking at that too Bob. The 2nd shortwave I think is being sampled but I can't confirm. Heard through grape vine on Twitter. I wonder if someone can back me up on this?

I wish I could get high resolution zoomed panels for the para. Taking a closer look it seems like the i81 zone is actually all snow.

The surface is a touch marginal close to the cities for the kicker but it would be another 2-6" event across the area.

Been watching that as well. As that has progressively gotten better we have seen the initial storm fall apart. Have wondered at times if maybe we may be keying on the wrong low.

Things look better this morning than last night when I hit the hay. 2-4 would be great with a slow transition. I cannot see a quick flip anywhere west of the bay with snow on the ground unless this really cuts west. I have lived here a long time and the CAD usually holds in these scenarios...the other scenario of waiting for the cold never works at least at my location

Agreed.

Been watching that as well. As that has progressively gotten better we have seen the initial storm fall apart. Have wondered at times if maybe we may be keying on the wrong low.

I'm mostly just concentrating on the lead stuff. That's the only part of the next 5 days that has consistency. A boring storm/period this is not.

Looks unanimous now that snow breaks out from sw-ne between 11pm-2am Monday morning and stays all snow through the daylight hours. Sounds like a fantastic holiday to me

After sundown Monday I'm not sure what to think...but it won't be pretty in my yard most likely but I will already have enjoyed the snow. I feel good about many of us getting more than 2"

From what I understand, the 2nd sw wont be fully sampled until tonight.

*sigh....

Lol sampled. The mets who know on that can talk forever and no one will listen.

I think most people that say that stuff here just do so because they read it some place. If you read AFDs, its not uncommon to see mention of model guidance wrt sampling of specific features. I know I have seen it in Mount Holly AFDs a dozen times this winter.

Archived