• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 5 quick hitting obs

Typhoon Tip

Time soon to start now-casting for what has become, in my recall, one of the most impressive short lead time model corrections ... Have to go back many years to cut it this close, and if it were any closer it would be a flat out positive bust!   

As it were ...when I saw the Euro come in robust this morning that's all of 'em - 

here we go -

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time soon to star now-casting for what has become, in my recall, one of the most impressive short lead time model corrections ... Have to go back many years to cut it this close, and if it were any closer it would be a flat out positive bust!   

As it were ...when I saw the Euro come in robust this morning that's all of 'em - 

here we go -

You mean GFS? Euro came in big yesterday afternoon.

You mean GFS? Euro came in big yesterday afternoon.

it continued to amp up since... but yeah, not disputing the trend began yesterday. 

That's pretty darn impressive considering the day and age ... we figure for some semblance of better performance that just 2 days - nice sobering reminder.

This is a trickle cool down deal...  The sensible air mass at the surface belies what's going on, as the wind field is too light to penetrate the denser lower boundary layer.  But 850 mb temps continue to shave, and the critical thickness are falling.  The temp will settle back through the 40s during the evening, and we'll find a lot of 37 to 39 in the area with the 850 -sfc thickness cold enough to support snow.  

What happens is about 2 minutes of cat paws and you go to giant aggregates where it comes down even light to moderate. 

This is not uncommon in early spring - btw.  This sort of gossamer warmth that goes by-by with certain rapidity during dynamics and saturation.  I've seen low 60s snow within 4 hours in extreme scenarios.  Don't be fooled by the 48 to 52 out there this hour. 

Archived