• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wxRob_Coleman
    Newest Member
    wxRob_Coleman
WxUSAF

January and #HECS2016 Banter Thread

Sh*tty storm here. Definitely doesn't come close to any of the three big ones of 09/10. Didn't get a blizzard either.

Not even sure how much I got from this. APG south of me says 29", which is completely absurd, and Belcamp to the west is at 24", which might be a bit too high as well. I barely have 2ft drifts.

Rant done.

Sh*tty storm here. Definitely doesn't come close to any of the three big ones of 09/10. Didn't get a blizzard either.

Not even sure how much I got from this. APG south of me says 29", which is completely absurd, and Belcamp to the west is at 24", which might be a bit too high as well. I barely have 2ft drifts.

Rant done.

I think you dry slotted yesterday too? I basically picked up only another 1.5" after 10 am.  Probably not even a top 10 storm for me, but I am fine with 15". It is at least manageable, and more than I have seen in a storm since Feb 2010.

Rant done.

Next miller b screwage storm for DC you will get 12" and DCA will get flurries. Its how these things work. 

Dude its championship Sunday. We got a ton of snow outside, its sunny, cold, and football! Plus the pattern looks pdg going forward.

Yeah. Definitely. I'm feeling real good going forward. I don't know about all snow events but I'm pretty convinced there will be a couple more major coastals in the upcoming 6 weeks. I normally would have more after storm let down but we have so much winter left.

Rant done.

Same here. I got about 19" because of that damn dry slot. It was snowing while the radar showed nothing but it did not accumulate. Meanwhile BWI which is less then 10 miles to my NW got 29". I had 13.5" at 5am and then it shut off and I didn't get accumulating snow again until 1 or 2pm. So while it was a historic storm for some it doesn't beat Feb 5-6, 2010 for me. I had 28" during that storm.

Epic storm. Passed out around 8pm last night and woke up at 8am lol. Ran of gas. Glad yesterday turned into a good daytime snow show. I guess it's debatable whether this is the super hecs but it's definitely in the same bracket as 96/03/10.

The 19 inches down near Soloman's Island is bull as is the 24 inch that is located not far from me.  Some folks must like measuring in drifts. 

Must be from NYC

I have no idea how to gauge how much snow IMBY for this event.  Just walked again around and the drifting makes everything impossible.

Rant done.

I feel bad for you and Snowpocalypse in Elkton, you were really close to big stuff, where I am in Bel Air (maybe like 2 miles SSE of Ravens94) I would guess we have like 28" here and some mounds of snow are 7' high. I think the jackpot area ran from Winchester to Leesburg to Frederick to Westminster to Parkton to Jarrettsville and anywhere within 15 miles of there. Annapolis, Severna Park, Havre De Grace, and most of Cecil County were in the screw zone but GFS always seemed to keep that area near or below 14" while Baltimore County and S/W was always 22" plus. NEVER on any model was that area jackpot. Must have been some kind of Gradient going down Rt 22/Rt 155.

So can we do a post storm/model mortem discussion/thread? I believe GFS did a phenomenal job with this storm, NAM also did well even if some were way too far north. A victory for the American Models for sure.

GFS? The GFS that have NYC 3 inches Thursday evening?

Any storm that produces over a a foot of snow is not sh*tty. Just sayin. No it wasn't historic for some of us that got dry slotted, but thems the breaks. And not like the models weren't strongly implying it for I-95 and east.

damn, my body just quit...just woke up after a 12 hour coma.  I didn't bathe at all yesterday.  Anybody wanna come over?

sure, I'll be there in ten minutes, you're right off the I-95 correct?

Lol @ the DCA thread(s). I think you all know by now that I usually take things in stride and I'm not as "serious" as some around here when it comes to this stuff, but I'm not sure why the DCA thing bothers me so much. It's already a bad spot for snow, and it's not like I expect them to validate my totals. That number could well be right...but what gets me is the guy who just strolls into the thread, chastises people who actually care about this, and drops the "I've been doing this for 30 years and you're not a met" card. 

We get it, it's a hard job that requires technical proficiency that many don't have, but scrutiny isn't a bad thing. I don't like it when people tell me how to do my job on a daily basis, but I don't s*** on them and say that I went to law school and did X, Y, and Z in my storied career before showing people why they're wrong on a subject. 

This isn't the first time that DCA has been questioned, rightly or wrongly, and for the biggest event in at least the last decade there should be no question. Period. If snowfall, temperature, precip totals are something that is readjusted in the normal course of getting readings right, fine. If that is not the case, the fact that any legitimate news organization is reporting some sort of issue is a problem, and you should be ready to show your work. Dropping the "I've been doing this longer than you so I got this" line has gotten a lot of people and institutions hauled before Congress lol. 

sure, I'll be there in ten minutes, you're right off the I-95 correct?

I'm in NW DC.  Usually about 30 mins from the northern portion of the beltway...but today, it might be a tad longer.   I showered today, so you've missed that special aroma already.  

Got to dig snow.

That stuff is DEEP.

Just got finished helping my neighbor shovel the snow on her driveway.

Then the roof avalanched.

So, I had to dig it all over again.

I got my snow fix for awhile.

Got to dig snow.

That stuff is DEEP.

Just got finished helping my neighbor shovel the snow on her driveway.

Then the roof avalanched.

So, I had to dig it all over again.

I got my snow fix for awhile.

Jeb, I went out for about four hours today digging people out. I was in short sleeves at the end. Are you proud of me?

Congrats on the storm buddy.

Jebwalks are beyond incredible.

Ever try jebwalking a 27 inch snowpack?

I was definitely NOT walkin at 5mph in that snow. It is REALLY DEEP.

Everyone is busy trying to dig out. Plows are all over too. I thought I'd get an early start. So, I rose at 530am and shoveled out the entrance to my drive way and part of the driveway.

While I was helping my neighbors, the plow made a few passes.

When I got back, I found another four foot snow berm right across my work. It's really challenging trying to wade across a four foot deep plowed snow berm. The snow was soft, and I sank right up to my thighs.

The berm can wait for tomorrow. These plow drivers need to learn how to drive.

Jeb, I went out for about four hours today digging people out. I was in short sleeves at the end. Are you proud of me?

Congrats on the storm buddy.

VERY. Way to go, helping others out.

The way I see it, I wished for it, so I try to get out and help a few people dig out.

VERY. Way to go, helping others out.

The way I see it, I wished for it, so I try to get out and help a few people dig out.

YUP. That's exactly what I said. As long as I'm a young buck I might as well do my part.