Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January and #HECS2016 Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm jealous of you non-dryslotters.  

West side of Columbia has several reports of 26-29".  East side near me is more 21-23".  Just too close to the dry slot and had several wasted hours yesterday morning.  Could have had more, but yesterday afternoon made it a HECS for me.  Legit blizzard conditions for about 6-8 hours. 

27 inches is an OBSCENE amount of snow.

Can't even imagine what people in NW Virginia and in C MD, W MD are going through right now, digging out, and just trying to get out their front door.

Yup.  All day spent making a narrow path out through the patio...not bothering with the front.  We are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Looks to me like your snow will gradually evaporate faster than it melts, probably a nice 8-12 inch blanket left for Groundhog Day with two feet in the woods sort of a thing, I don't see much potential for mid-week (no phase, no vorticity) maybe some sloppy melting half inch -- keep yer eyes on Feb 7-10 for the next Big One, hoping it won't cut north and rain (except it will do that for southern VA and NC). I've had a blast crashing your snow party, time to soak in some west coast sunshine this week (we do winter every five years around here and this ain't one of 'em).

Looks to me like your snow will gradually evaporate faster than it melts, probably a nice 8-12 inch blanket left for Groundhog Day with two feet in the woods sort of a thing, I don't see much potential for mid-week (no phase, no vorticity) maybe some sloppy melting half inch -- keep yer eyes on Feb 7-10 for the next Big One, hoping it won't cut north and rain (except it will do that for southern VA and NC). I've had a blast crashing your snow party, time to soak in some west coast sunshine this week (we do winter every five years around here and this ain't one of 'em).

I always enjoy reading your comments Roger! You have a pretty sharp eye for weather. Enjoy the beauty of the west coast, I miss it a lot sometimes. I was reading the Alaska thread earlier today....hopefully you guys get a big cyclone crashing into the coast or something!

Well, I lived in the Ontario snow belt for quite a few years so I've had my fill of winter storms. Pacific surf is great too, but I like these placid winters, can keep my golf game together, some winters you can't play a round for months here, other winters, the courses stay open and you can play a bit.

Nothing beats the exhilaration of a big snowstorm. I enjoyed reading 007's post, takes me back to so long ago when I lived in snow country. There have only been two decent snowstorms in the twenty years I have lived in this part of the world, both around Christmas (1996, 2008) and maybe one or two other ones, but hey, I was in the path of the 1978 superstorm (not a big snowfall where I was that day). My all-time biggest snowstorm was April 2-3, 1975 in central Ontario, we got into about the same situation as Harrisburg PA yesterday then had lake effect for twelve hours -- 40 inches level then drifting (despite the date it was snappy cold for a week after that one). Close second was the Dec 92 storm which I sampled from Peterborough ON, a nice level 23 inches.

So I've been reading that there is a new Global French Model? Can't wait for my first..."OMG 12z. French Model shows 1-2 feet!"

Yeah, it's the Arpege or something...never heard of it until someone in the SE forum cited it.

Also, there's an 18Z JMA...

Good stuff. I really enjoy reading your posts here and on your page. I knew your call for a big storm would verify from the start. Just didn't think it'd be a HECS imby. I think the second half of this winter will rock, with the elements we need for a good period relaxing and returning through February. Hopefully we can get a nice mix of Miller As and Bs that produce for all. We're just padding stats here now. I want 40" :P

Aren't we pretty much not below average for the winter to date. In fact we are above. So much for this crappy winter we were supposed to get according to some posters back in December.

Neat map here.

http://www.weather.gov/erh/hydromet?event=stormTotalv3_12&element=snow&centeron=PHI

Definitely off in some areas (like N. Baltimore Co. and NoVa), but looks good for Central and NE MD. I was really hoping there would be some spotter reports across the way in Cecil, but alas, I'm all alone.

I'm going with 20.5" as my total, which I believe to be conservative based on reports to my west and north. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell how much I actually got. It sure does bug me lol...

This was easily my top storm since moving to Richmond from Maryland back in 2004. The rates and wind were unreal during the day yesterday and the bands just kept coming - something I'll never forget.

Although my 16" wouldn't be considered a large total for most of the posters in this subforum it's been a long time coming for this area. RIC has suffered through an unreal snow drought over the past decade or two and it has pained me to see my old stomping grounds - Frederick - get mauled with every passing superstorm. I will probably be moving north or out west in a few years and it is very fulfilling to know that I was able to finally take part in a "big one" with my fellow MA snow weenies while living here. Here's to the next KU.

I went deeper into the neighborhood tonight with the dog. Man, it's a mess out there. A ton of work to be done before we have good sidewalk navigation.

Talked a neighbor who works for Maryland DOT. Apparently any streets in my hood that haven't gotten plowed during the storm will require front loaders and bobcats to clear because they are too deep to plow. That's basically all of them except the snow emergency routes. I don't think I'm getting out until Wednesday. Maybe Tuesday if I'm lucky.

Archived