Total Members
    Most Online
    WIanBW
    Newest Member
    WIanBW
Ian

Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting

wrf-nmm_asnow_eus_48.png

41 near Culpeper? Looks like me buying dedicated snow tires in September and a snowblower on Monday was a great call. I could probably do enough work with the snowblower to pay for itself.

Started snowing here in Culpeper about 11:15.

Good call Matt. I would think at this point that 20+ is about a good a lock as I've ever seen. Hopefully they can measure properly. It's going to be tough. 

27/light snow/trace/roads instantly caving. 

Thanks...that's for DC...DCA might be lower than 20...I went 17.7 in a CWG contest

Looking good on live feed!!! Buildings are starting to fade away now. Visibility was reported as less than two miles 10-15 minutes ago according to MESOWEST. Winds increased a little bit since last hour's observation to 12.7 mph. 

went to montgomery mall to get a quick bite and it was CLOSED.  someone on the speaker said there were only 2 associates left in the building.  state of emergency in effect.  went to home depot after to pick up a shovel and it was still pretty busy there.  gas station was packed too.  gonna go later for that (got a 1/4 tank).

looks like main roads are starting to get more pockets of snow on them and hearing less cars on the road now.

in other news, i traded my camry in for a wrangler before the winter of 13/14.  i think i timed things pretty well as far as that's concerned.

fun storm.

Saw first flakes in Rock Creek Park at 1255. There were quite a few people there, actually. I wish I lived a bit closer. It's about a mile and 3/4 walk there and that might be a bit of a challenge to negotiate during a blizzard.

Not sticking to the roads yet, must be the sun angle. :whistle:

Kidding aside, it's sticking with more authority at the outset than it did at the start of 2/5-6. So we're not "wasting QPF."

A road crew was prepositioning salt (or whatever) on Wisconsin just now. All these cars were lined up behind three snow removal trucks that were three abreast in echelon on the northbound lanes. Obedient or maybe opportunistic drivers, take your pick. Anyway, one of the road crew from the lead truck started gesticulating rather avidly at the cars, yelling for the drivers to move around them. 

Tales from the "life-threatening" storm of 2016.

KBWI 221859Z 08007KT 1 3/4SM -SN BKN026 OVC049 M04/M11 A3019 RMK AO2 P0000 T10391106

KDCA 221858Z 04011KT 1 1/2SM R01/5500VP6000FT -SN OVC024 M04/M08 A3018 RMK AO2 PRESFR P0001 T10391078

SE Chesterfield keeps switching between big flakes and fine particles. Currently at 4.5 inches, seems to be accumulating slower then at start. 

did you chase?

Sort of, I'm only in boston for school and am from here and still have family down here, so sitting in boston and living vicariously through you all would have been pretty damn depressing.

regarding the dry patch in sw virginia earlier...can see it filling back in.

when all the major models are printing out >= 2 inches of liquid...it's time to just sit back and enjoy the show.