SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #2 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost half of the snow totals through the corridor come from a narrow deform band (2 counties wide) as the low departs. Totals look good. Details look a little scary. 

Point of fact, an awful way to try and save snow totals - too easy to have that set up south or east. Completely gone on that run is anything on the front side, basically, no over-running from the low.

Yeah, you are skilled at this but does it make sense meteorologically that the 500 mb low should move east

in this situation?

My understanding is that as these troughs deepen, they tend to move

poleward and in this situation, there is no convergence zone north of the trough.  So why

would it trend east rather than NE?

It's pretty crazy at the surface too. It looks weird. 986 low about 100 miles SSE of OBX but then the ULL grabs it and tucks a 985 right over VA beach. Then stretched out double barrel style low as it departs. Northern edge is absolutely brutal. I'm sure it's possible but it looks a little crazy when you loop the panels. 

Almost half of the snow totals through the corridor come from a narrow deform band (2 counties wide) as the low departs. Totals look good. Details look a little scary. 

That's something to think about for sure...we definitely don't want to rely on a deform band 3 days out.

A few thoughts from a lurker...

1. Each model run is more important than the last.  When the latest run of the best model out there makes a shift, you should take notice and not just assume it is some sort of blip.
  2. Watching the storms over the years, they typically do tend to shift to the NW as the vent draws near.  This winter, however, is not a typical winter and with the strong confluence to the north that is far from a guarantee.

My $.02

At this point it's too early to know. It could be a legit change, but unless it stays consistent and/or other guidance makes similar shifts, you can't just make such a rash change to the forecast. 

Also being the best model isn't the same as always being right.

It's pretty crazy at the surface too. It looks weird. 986 low about 100 miles SSE of OBX but then the ULL grabs it and tucks a 985 right over VA beach. Then stretched out double barrel style low as it departs. Northern edge is absolutely brutal. I'm sure it's possible but it looks a little crazy when you loop the panels. 

Different set-up obviously, but didn't something similar happen with that March 2013 snow that we didn't get (white rain basically) while south central Virginia cashed in?

Definetly a bothersome run. Delayed is rarely good in itself. Plus is it won't take much to get it back.

Reposting because this got lost in the banter thread and we're between model runs:

What's the lead time for data going into the 12z models?  I mean, do they incorporate data right up until they start to run, or is there some sort of new data cut-off a couple of hours beforehands for the programs to compile and assimilate?

It's not an HECS unless you get a run that cause the Mappy's, PSUHoffman's, and WinterWxLuvrs of the weenie world to start worrying about suppression 72 hours out...  Then they jackpot 72 hours later...

No worry here. Thanks though for your concern. 

Don't forget the old Norm McDonald adage that Bernie Rayno reminded us of yesterday in his video that the storm usually exists the east coast where it entered the west coast. Meaning, it's coming in around Oregon/Washington, so it should make it up the east coast. to NE.

Meh, I wouldn't take it the rule of thumb to the bank. Models have been getting more bullish on confluence to the north. One thing I would keep an eye on is the Euro's recent tendency to bury the s/w too far south. Yesterday morning's ocean storm is a fine example. Four days out and the Euro had it down in Mexico, while the GFS brought it across the Gulf coast. GFS verified far better. We'll see. Not too worried for you guys, but we New Englanders may smoke some cirrus.

Archived