• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter Thread #2

WxUSAF

Eh, that's a risk. You would need to be 100% sure before you go. Last-minute shifts and dynamics could easily move the bullseye near your backyard.

Yup I will watch the trends and make the call on Thursday. Should be pretty much locked in by then. NW of DC seems to be the sweet spot for now.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of a disconnect between our weenie world and the CWG.  They give DCA an 80% chance of <8" of snow during this event.  I suspect their caution is due to the event being 96 hours away, our climatology, and the fact that the public only hears the upper range of any forecast. 

Yeah, I think they're being way too bearish on that. I'd put the odds of 8" at around 50%.

Yea, I saw after posting that it was around 10am.  I feel though that the models up to that time had pretty good consistency and agreement, especially at this range.  And I really like Mt. Holly a lot.  Thanks for the updated discussion from them.

No problem. And there was still a fair amount of spread in the ops as of 0z. Ens were closer. And Mt Holly is very good imo.

From Mt. Holly discussion.  I don't agree with their analysis concerning consistency and model agreement. They also seem to feel that the short wave needs to be sampled better. Thought dtk might like to comment.

Well if it's not being sampled by our upper air network, how do we even know it's there?  They are entitled to their opinion, but the main issues regarding consistency and ensemble spread is related to the lead time we are talking about, nonlinearity, error growth, and fundamental atmospheric predictability...not the observing system.

Well...I just e-mailed my travel agent to see if there's any way she can tentatively reserve and hold a seat on a Thursday night flight.  No guarantee that people will flee the meeting like the proverbial rats, but if I can get approval to get out, I want to be prepared!  I should know more tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday morning...

If you want mega QPF, you are gonna need to flirt with the mix line. Just a fact of life for those in the cities and nearby suburbs (myself included). I have many very fond memories of huge storms over the years that had a period with sleet or at least snow grains and blobs and it didn't diminish things at all. Usually the sleet and snow blobs are coming down so intense it is crazy anyway.

All I know is that the southern line of accumulating snow has moved north as well as the heaviest snowfall. A 30 mile shift west with the low and we're talking about a Hiroshima level explosion of weenies. I for one will spontaneously combust. I'm scared.

Well...I just e-mailed my travel agent to see if there's any way she can tentatively reserve and hold a seat on a Thursday night flight.  No guarantee that people will flee the meeting like the proverbial rats, but if I can get approval to get out, I want to be prepared!  I should know more tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday morning...

Good luck mattie, I'm rooting for you!

Zwyx seems a little worried

He is always worried but with a good reason of mixing. Mixing is also a concern for me but models are still spitting out 18-24" for my area. I am a tiny bit worried that things could still go wrong but overall I'm fairly happy with where we stand right now.

You would think that the NATIONAL Center for Environmental Prediction would care that their model site stinks.

Yeah, the MAG page is pretty rough.  Though, to be fair, which of the operational centers has a really good model page with nice graphics?

Archived