amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January Banter Thread #2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to relentlessly mock the first people to bring up "convective feedback" or "initialization errors" when the models start waffling a little bit in the next day or two.

I'm not sure you saw the post below earlier.

Just curious, but you mentioned that precip totals should be taken with a grain of salt because of thresholds, is there anything else that gets biased when a modeled storm gets this "extreme" for lack of a better word.

I don't need to ask them. Thanks if you want to see them, head on over to accuwx. Maybe they pay for permission, who know. Or they just don't care legally. We do. Don't post the maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, tell me how the date with Joe Bastardi goes though!

I'm not sure you saw the post below earlier.

Impossible to answer this question since we never have close to a large enough sample size:

1. Operational models are constantly changing with upgrades.  The current GFS is nothing like the version that was operational before Jan 2015.
  2. No two storms are alike.

I do think that models tend to go overboard a little bit with these really dynamic events with significant nonlinear feedback processes.   That's why it's much better for your sanity to follow the 500mb evolution at leads rather than worrying about exact SLP placement, QPF totals, etc.

Impossible to answer this question since we never have close to a large enough sample size:

• Operational models are constantly changing with upgrades.  The current GFS is nothing like the version that was operational before Jan 2015.
  • No two storms are alike.
I do think that models tend to go overboard a little bit with these really dynamic events with significant nonlinear feedback processes.   That's why it's much better for your sanity to follow the 500mb evolution at leads rather than worrying about exact SLP placement, QPF totals, etc.

Thanks. That makes good sense.

Archived