• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

Had a trace yesterday. I drove over a good bit of the county on the way home during the time it was snow. Had no trouble sticking. 

Just a note on soil temperatures. Soil temperatures are very cold right now, much colder than we usually see in the South with winter storms. You can see soil temps in the 30-35 degree range in the NW third of NC with 35-40 degree soil temps for the majority of the remainder of places that are likely going to be in for wintry precip. I'd expect the snow to stick quickly, even to the roads.

I don't think it's a big deal given the intensity of this storm, but it never hurts.

Sounds like KCLT has basically been shut down for tomorrow.

http://greencastonline.com/tools/gisFull.asp?maps=NationalToday

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI, I just asked GSP NWS about the high today. They say the high temp today won't matter much since cold air will get reinforced from the north early Friday.

They have increased both their forecasted ice totals and snow totals for upstate area.

still looks to be on the light side to me given the models trends.  basically a total of 2 - 4 inches of sleet/snow and a 1/3 to a 1/2 in of ice up I85 from Greenville to Spartanburg to Charlotte.  Both the Euro and GFS are showing in the 6 to 9 inch range of sleet and snow with some ice on top of that.  Total precip is constantly in the 1.5 to 2.0 range.  Thougths?  Still playing it somewhat conservative? 

No one can ever say again that storms don't trend south and colder   :lmao:   :mapsnow:

Yeah, hopefully this will help to dispel the "storms always trend NW" myth (fingers crossed that we don't trend NW now at zero hour).  :whistle:

Im starting to get worried about the current temps. It's already in the mid 40's! 

[sNIPPED IMAGES]

wetbulbs 

It was always supposed to be in the mid-40s today, bud.

Im starting to get worried about the current temps. It's already in the mid 40's! 

GSP addressed this a little while ago in their social media briefing. They are not worried about it because of the reinforcing cold that will be coming in from the northeast. 

GSP addressed this a little while ago in their social media briefing. They are not worried about it because of the reinforcing cold that will be coming in from the northeast. 

Watch your wind direction.  Mine is variable at the moment in CLT.  Just wait til it swings in from the north.

still looks to be on the light side to me given the models trends. basically a total of 2 - 4 inches of sleet/snow and a 1/3 to a 1/2 in of ice up I85 from Greenville to Spartanburg to Charlotte. Both the Euro and GFS are showing in the 6 to 9 inch range of sleet and snow with some ice on top of that. Total precip is constantly in the 1.5 to 2.0 range. Thougths? Still playing it somewhat conservative?

So you call 2-4 of snow and 1/2 Ice light??

Fishel:  Over 90% of precipitation with this storm will fall during a 12 hour period from early tomorrow morning to early tomorrow evening

We will likely go from no precipitation to heavy snow in the triangle area in a matter of 15-30 min. We will get down to business quickly!

Accumulations will be tough to call because of a deep layer of near freezing air aloft. A one degree C change anywhere in that layer is huge

still looks to be on the light side to me given the models trends. basically a total of 2 - 4 inches of sleet/snow and a 1/3 to a 1/2 in of ice up I85 from Greenville to Spartanburg to Charlotte. Both the Euro and GFS are showing in the 6 to 9 inch range of sleet and snow with some ice on top of that. Total precip is constantly in the 1.5 to 2.0 range. Thougths? Still playing it somewhat conservative?

Light side? Which models are you looking at? :huh:

Archived