Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

pretty crazy agreement.

it's interesting to note the 06z 4km nam continues to show sub freezing temps making down the spine of the mountains to near gainesville/dawsonville by 09z to 12z  friday. if you went by dewpoints, even further south and sooner. I'm feeling like at the least there is going to be a narrow area of major icing from dawson, hall, lumpkin, white, hambersham, rabun counties...especially so for areas around the 1500 to 2000 foot level..which is usually the sweet spot of coldest temps. Makes me wonder what a euro solution would spell for these areas since the nam is further north.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's interesting to note the 06z 4km nam continues to show sub freezing temps making down the spine of the mountains to near gainesville/dawsonville by 09z to 12z  friday. if you went by dewpoints, even further south and sooner. I'm feeling like at the least there is going to be a narrow area of major icing from dawson, hall, lumpkin, white, hambersham, rabun counties...especially so for areas around the 1500 to 2000 foot level..which is usually the sweet spot of coldest temps. Makes me wonder what a euro solution would spell for these areas since the nam is further north.

Do you know why everyone was freaking out abut the NAM and GFS? I'm trying to figure it out. 

I want to know why people prefer the Euro, especially the EPS low locations. The 06z GEFS has a line of low locations along the coast of NC, essentially along the OBX. While the 00z EPS has lows way inland and the majority of them in tech coastal plains. Keep in mind I'm not talking about ULL placement or the S/W...just talking about the surface low track.

At least for MBY, jon, I like that the euro takes me from snow to sleet to snow. I'm being selfish though.

What's amazing to think about is if you start taking the most extreme parts of each model's solutions -- GFS's QPF + NAM's temp profile would obviously mean the Ice Storm of the Ages for favored CAD regions. Of course, it could work the other way, too. Sure is hard to remember a true GFS-by-itself coup on a CAD event. Probably because it hasn't happened ....

At least for MBY, jon, I like that the euro takes me from snow to sleet to snow. I'm being selfish though.

I understand that, that's fine. Hopefully we can all get on the same page with one solution. I try not to have biases towards one solution, but GEFS does have more agreement with regards to surface low track for sure. Of course anything can change.

It is VERY rare in this part of the country to get a strong "all snow" storm outside the mtns. It will inevitably transition or change as the dreaded WAA comes into play as the low strenghtens and bring a mix bag, sometimes at the beginning and sometimes in the middle. As the low pulls away, some parts see some backside snows which can also accumulate and this storm looks like no exception

Do you know why everyone was freaking out abut the NAM and GFS? I'm trying to figure it out. 

No real reason other than It all depends one where one lives. what's good for some is bad for others and vise versa. People are going to root for whatever gives them the most most of the time and crap on the models that don't.

Well?.....are you off to Lowes?

Take this trivial stuff to the banter thread. Going to start handing out warnings if this keeps up.

I want to know why people prefer the Euro, especially the EPS low locations. The 06z GEFS has a line of low locations along the coast of NC, essentially along the OBX. While the 00z EPS has lows way inland and the majority of them in tech coastal plains. Keep in mind I'm not talking about ULL placement or the S/W...just talking about the surface low track.

Pretty simple the American models first where sending primary up through KY and waa destroyed cad, since they are stubornly correcting to the euro,can,ukie,jma,nogaps and atleast keeping the ull together west to east before transfer of energy to coast and not double barreling the ull and coastal to dellmarva before fully transferring energy miller b to castal. The euro and it's ens have been steadfast in doing this keeping ull consolidated and rolling across AL GA before capturing the coastal at charleston. I see why you and really all of us would like a track futher east from charleston to off obx as opposed to over the inner banks sound. But make no mistake the gfs atleast finally ditched the primary KY crazy idea, and folded to euro on that,however it wants to take ull from TN through NC/ SC line to MYB/Wilmington and the let coastal take over. That ULL track does us no good and really the starting point of the coastal is at the same lattitude and has less time to throw backside moisture out our way and down into GA and SC.

Hope this helps. Last night euro run of crawling the ULL to our south would pummel alot of folks. It's clown is truly pure snow and not diluted with sleet frzng rain.

As someone who watches coastal weather for fishing conditions like some look at snow maps, My experience is models have little success at predicting where a surface low will transfer between Myrtle and Norfolk, and less what it will do when it gets out there and how soon it will move out. I've had plenty trips ruined by a stubborn low caught in Onslow Bay.

As someone who watches coastal weather for fishing conditions like some look at snow maps, My experience is models have little success at predicting where a surface low will transfer between Myrtle and Norfolk, and less what it will do when it gets out there and how soon it will move out. I've had plenty trips ruined by a stubborn low caught in Onslow Bay.

All about that baroclinicity that is caused b/c of the contast of the Gulf Stream and lanmass and the interaction of the Appalachins.  Saw in a 6 month period in 1999-2000 that same effect exacerbate the historic flooding of Hurricane Floyd and the helped crank up the "Big One" of January 24-25, 2000 in Central NC.

We shouldn't expect wholesale changes in the models today.  The window is closing for that to happen.  Yes if you live in one of those counties where the SE portion is projected to get a little and the NW corner 6+ inches more, then every mile matters.  Also the MA and NE folks could see some wiggles due to the trajectory of the secondary low.  Other than that, slight variations in tracks of lows, strengths of highs and surface depictions I think.  Normally, the crazy qpf amounts will go down a half to one inch and the stripe of snow will narrow a bit.  These are pretty normal corrections and to be expected.  GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

I understand that, that's fine. Hopefully we can all get on the same page with one solution. I try not to have biases towards one solution, but GEFS does have more agreement with regards to surface low track for sure. Of course anything can change.

I'm just catching up this morning and agree w/ your thoughts about the slp placement and our area.  I've come to the realization that our area will have mixing issues because of the slp being too far west.  I personally liked last nights euro mainly because of the slow movement and the fact it could be a historic storm for several in the SE.  I didn't look at any temp profiles but the 0z euro looked a little better for our area.  We still have mixing issue and will go to rn some.

Archived