• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

That's a little outlandish if you ask me. We're talking about maybe 12 hours of storm force winds. Sandy was a major hurricane down in the Caribbean and over a 1000 miles wide by the time it made it up here. Throwing names out like Sandy is just irresponsible. Could some areas experience some major flooding? Sure, but nowhere to the extent of Sandy.

12439321_10153368222522934_4750519756182

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

T-minus 60 minutes until the NAM has everyone reconsidering things....again. its like a ping pong match over here :-) Agree with the poster that said temper expectations, take what you can get. We are just entering Nam decent range, srefs will become more useful, and the rgem also coming into range. Almost time to put more weight on the latter vs the globals.

Everyone near NYC needs to temper their expectations to 3"-6"/4"-8" and take it and run.

If models shift north, great.

If not, then 4"-8" is still a nice snowfall.

Get over the fact models had much more at hour 78+.

Tell that to Anthony , he still  thinks the NAM will verify . 

This thing jogging north is NOT the issue, I wish people would stop saying that...it WILL NOT come north, IF and only IF, the confluence does not weaken, the double barrel low, drags the storm east to follow the most convection, that needs to not happen as well... There's a lot of factors other than the Low "jogging north". And IF those other factors happen, which is doubtful this late, then we could see the tighter gradient expand north and the storm ride the coast a bit better

Understood. So, obviously the odds are very stacked against us. Unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still think NYC sees a foot or more, my opinion... However north of there, I can honestly say... No freaking clue... Rockland county could be watching Virga while city dumps, or they could be dumping while Orange County virgas... It's a crap shoot IMO at this point... I'm fairly confident however by 12-18z tomorrow we will know what all our fates are in regard to totals.. Roughly

Why can't we all just be happy with a nice 3-6 inch snowfall?!. Those large to totals are not happening anymore. Move on

Because this was built up as possibly one of the biggest storms ever. When '83 and '96 are compared to this almost a week ago and it turns into 3-6 inches that is awful and extremely disappointing.

3-6 inches is nice when its predicted like that, but when 1-2ft numbers are thrown around and everyone is amazed all the models were in agreement 3-5 days ago this is a huge letdown.

I still think NYC sees a foot or more, my opinion... However north of there, I can honestly say... No freaking clue... Rockland county could be watching Virga while city dumps, or they could be dumping while Orange County virgas... It's a crap shoot IMO at this point... I'm fairly confident however by 12-18z tomorrow we will know what all our fates are in regard to totals.. Roughly

I know I've said it before... but the probability of 1' of snow in NYC has dropped considerably since the models first began latching onto the idea of a quick exit stage right.  

Sure, SI could hang a 10 and you might get close ... but I think forecasting a foot at this stage flies in the face of the evidence we have on the table.

I think a big problem in this day and age is that snowfall clown maps are thrown around at leads of 96+ hours which sets the expectations.

That said, the upper level evolution earlier this week looked amazing for a huge storm - just didn't pan out... this is why 1-2' storms are rarities.  

I think a big problem in this day and age is that snowfall clown maps are thrown around at leads of 96+ hours which sets the expectations.

That said, the upper level evolution earlier this week looked amazing for a huge storm - just didn't pan out... this is why 1-2' storms are rarities.  

except DC, where 2' has been locked in on every model run since the 4th of july.

12439321_10153368222522934_4750519756182

Nice summary - link?  Anyway, Sandy's flooding was not that bad for most of Atlantic County and all of Cape May County and DE/MD, since they were on the left side (a bit weaker side and with winds coming from the N to NW, roughly, given the counterclockwise circulation) of Sandy when it made landfall around AC, which is why the Dec 92 and forecast tides for this storm are similar to Sandy's for points from AC southward.  Look how much bigger the tides were for Sandy relative to 92/this storm for points north of AC - hence the historic flooding.  

Archived