Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly dude, unless you see a major jump, don't give yourself a nosebleed over precise qpf outputs.

Just watch the RAD tmw night into Saturday.

Someone who doesn't expect much will get smoked.

often,  there is a poorly modeled heavy band right on the northern or Northwestern edge of the shield....seen it many times on these big storms.

How do u figure it's "better" for the interior.. Looks near identical to 00z...anyone north of NYC is next to nothing?

Correct 

0z EURO

KMMU .2

HPN.2

KNYC .5

EWR .6

JFK .8

KBLM 1.4 

12z EURO

KMMU.2

HPN .2

KNYC. .5

EWR .6

JFK .8

KBLM 1.2

Speaking specifically about the coast, unless something really changes you should be fine. The driest models still give you a warning criteria snowfall. For the interior, we're down 2 runs in the bottom of the ninth. 

I know this is the NYC Metro sub, but I'm specifically concerned about Southern NJ, especially the coasts of Cape May and Atlantic counties. The flooding is going to be Sandy-esque, with a major snow storm and blizzard winds. Its going to be a mess down there. Wouldn't be surprised if evac's are issued for the barrier islands.

How do u figure it's "better" for the interior.. Looks near identical to 00z...anyone north of NYC is next to nothing?

The precip fields crept further North. That didn't necessarily lead to much higher numbers but it's certainly better than if they had gone the opposite direction. We're 36 hours or so out. At some point, a slight tick here or there is the most you can expect. Of course in this rare circumstance, a tick in either direction can mean the difference between a lot of snow and cirrus.

The precip fields crept further North. That didn't necessarily lead to much higher numbers but it's certainly better than if they had gone the opposite direction. We're 36 hours or so out. At some point, a slight tick here or there is the most you can expect. Of course in this rare circumstance, a tick in either direction can mean the difference between a lot of snow and cirrus.

Did you look at the 850s? Lol.. The air is so dry up here it doesn't matter how far the precip field ticks.. It's falling as Virga... Ticks don't help the interior.. We would need a major shift, aka no double barrel low, less confluence, a slower and weaker s/w and a stronger ULL, with better heights, and a more coastal tuck track...

I know this is the NYC Metro sub, but I'm specifically concerned about Southern NJ, especially the coasts of Cape May and Atlantic counties. The flooding is going to be Sandy-esque, with a major snow storm and blizzard winds. Its going to be a mess down there. Wouldn't be surprised if evac's are issued for the barrier islands.

That's a little outlandish if you ask me. We're talking about maybe 12 hours of storm force winds. Sandy was a major hurricane down in the Caribbean and over a 1000 miles wide by the time it made it up here. Throwing names out like Sandy is just irresponsible. Could some areas experience some major flooding? Sure, but nowhere to the extent of Sandy.

WRONG!!  This will not be Sandy-esque anywhere, as the NWS has said repeatedly.  Sandy was 3-4 feet worse than anything seen before or this storm, at its worst.  Doesn't mean there won't be moderate to maybe even major flooding, but not historic flooding.  

WRONG!!  This will not be Sandy-esque anywhere, as the NWS has said repeatedly.  Sandy was 3-4 feet worse than anything seen before or this storm, at its worst.  Doesn't mean there won't be moderate to maybe even major flooding, but not historic flooding.  

last I checked I saw 3-4 ft rise. Sandy at my shore house was between 12-13 water rise. Big difference.  I have to look at the current data but doubt this will even come close to Dec 92.

:weenie: :weenie: :weenie:

I salute you.

Archived