Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Bryan Norcross explained so well after Sandy, the NWS and others continue to do a horrible job communicating coastal flooding data and risks in a way that the general public can understand. Even in this disco, they switch between "positive departures" and "surge" without defining exactly what they mean. Also, any time they talk about coastal flooding, now, they ought to include the much greater departures seen for Sandy, so that people know the flooding that might come, even if "major" is nowhere near Sandy levels, which were generally 3-4 feet greater than Irene or March 1962 or other great storms in the past (or this one, even in the worst case).

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/bnorcross/unraveling-the-sandy-stormsurge-forecast

Great post. I agree. You can throw in December 92, Halloween 91, March 93, Gloria and Donna in the major flooding 4-6 feet above mean high water. Sandy was extreme in the 7-9 foot range.

I expect street flooding Saturday evening in places like Freeport and the west end of long beach. Should be interesting with snow on the ground. Structure flooding is very unlikely.

Beach erosion should only be moderate on Long Island but can be severe locally on the jersey shore. Right now beaches are in great shape

the ukmet coming north is a big deal IMO. it's the second best model

Quite the statement. I take it you feel the king is #1. Do you still feel, in this relatively short range that the Euro & Ukie combo would be best? For example NAM has had 4 consistent runs, do we  totally discount or blend?

As far as flooding goes. I live on a canal in Copiague. Any clue what to expect compared with Sandy? I'm assuming I'll be alright but, getting a bit worried.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This isn't close to Sandy. If Sandy was the only storm that caused problems for you, you are fine.

Archived