Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree on the confluence. The northern extent of the precip on models may be too generous. Dry air will try to eat at the oncoming snow as much as possible. It will be frustrating watching the snow hang out around DC and Philly for hours, but eventually models still give enough to eventually move a period of decent snow into NYC up to around I-80.

Agree on the confluence. The northern extent of the precip on models may be too generous. Dry air will try to eat at the oncoming snow as much as possible. It will be frustrating watching the snow hang out around DC and Philly for hours, but eventually models still give enough to eventually move a period of decent snow into NYC up to around I-80.

This is still a risky situation by NYC because a 30-40 mile

shift which is highly possible 48-54 hours out is tremendous in this instance. I think it's unlikely NYC gets shutout but I sure could see a scenario where downtown sees only 2-3 inches. Couple that with the fact mesoscale bands form in odd places, we have seen those so called dry air CSI bands form before well north of where anyone thought big snow would happen and also seen models be too far north and south with the north edge of a storm so this forecast sucks and I'm glad I'm on vacation

It's all going to depend on where that wall of snow stops. Euro low placement was close to the ukmet. Just something was causing the qpf to weaken as it went north.

The euro has super dry air at 850hpa look at the relative humidity at that level. Especially just north of the city with the limited precip shield/qpf, will be in real trouble. The dry air just going to eat away at it for hours and it's going to be a virga fest

The euro has super dry air at 850hpa look at the relative humidity at that level. Especially just north of the city with the limited precip shield/qpf, will be in real trouble. The dry air just going to eat away at it for hours and it's going to be a virga fest

What is a "virga fest?"

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

What is a "virga fest?"

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

many years ago there was a snowstorm that hit southern new jersey i think atlantic city got 14 inches of snow.. and nyc got nothing... a arctic high over southern canada kept the air so dry in the city.. even though above in the atmosphere it was snowing all day.. it never reached the ground..that was a virga fest...

Can I ask this: How has each individual model performed so far with respect to the main actors onstage?  How have the GFS, EURO, etc. performed with respect to the positioning and strength of each element of the setup as compared to where everything is actually situated now?  Could that give us a hint as to how much weight we should give each of their depictions of the ultimate outcome?

Nice summary - link?  Anyway, Sandy's flooding was not that bad for most of Atlantic County and all of Cape May County and DE/MD, since they were on the left side (a bit weaker side and with winds coming from the N to NW, roughly, given the counterclockwise circulation) of Sandy when it made landfall around AC, which is why the Dec 92 and forecast tides for this storm are similar to Sandy's for points from AC southward.  Look how much bigger the tides were for Sandy relative to 92/this storm for points north of AC - hence the historic flooding.  

Sorry, that graphic was posted by Dan Skeldon, local weather met in the south jersey area.

Archived