12bet1 net
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it risky?

1. It is a "watch"

2. Do you understand the definition of "blizzard"?  I am assuming no since you mentioned 4-8" in your attack on NWS call for blizzard watch.

1. Isn't that in their charter and the definition of a watch - to alert the public (not weather board readers) to the possibility of an occurrence like this, though conditions may still change, possibly to the upgrade to a warning, or downgrade.

2. Aren't actual snowfall accumulations beside the point when it comes to a blizzard? The term gets conflated.

sometimes you see Blizzard warnings in the Midwest for an inch of snow...it's a misunderstood label-east coasters think it means big snows which is not always the case.

Yes, it's more about sustained visibilities of less than 1/4 of a mile for I believe 3 consecutive hours in blowing snow than how much snow actually falls.

Another great video by Bernie Rayno... He's not convinced on the eastern push as much as models show, thinks it's coming north more

http://videowall.accuweather.com/detail/videos/trending-now/video/2430839568001/blizzard-dc-to-philadelphia-cl

Love his videos, but his insistence on a northern push is reminiscent of his insistence on a westward push during Juno. I remember as it it was becoming abundantly clear that the main band would not reach NYC, let alone Philly, he was on Twitter telling everyone to be patient. It was painful to watch unfold. He's pretty old-school and sticks with his forecasts to the bitter end. While I like how he doesn't blindly follow the models, sometimes it leads to spectacular busts (as it did last year).

He maybe right but do ask yourself this? You have consistently been tooting Bernie's horn, while we , in fact, have multiple pros here who blow him clear out of the water in terms of knowledge. This isnt to deride your opinion or his, just an attempt to question because we always have to question our news and information sources.

Can any of the "Pros that blow him clear out of the water" comment on his take that Nor'easters typically slide north a little?I'm curious to hear more as to the truth of his comment and/or why the models are trending so hard east.

That is why it is a watch not a warning, after looking at the NAM I can see that.  But looking at the GFS I could also see NYC getting little or nothing.  It is still too early to tell.  I bet today's ECMWF will nudge it another 5-10 miles south, but after that who knows.

Wind concern is also a huge factor with the blizzard watch

Can any of the "Pros that blow him clear out of the water" comment on his take that Nor'easters typically slide north a little?I'm curious to hear more as to the truth of his comment and/or why the models are trending so hard east.

Because they're picking up on an area of convection and jumping the low towards it which would normally not happen. It could be noise or could be correct since its several models doing that. There's no reason to just say oh it should come north

Archived