Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think of the atmosphere as a sponge. The more the confluence to the North presses down, the more compressed and more intense the precipitation. The lesser confluence equals a more expansive precip shield which is a little less intense. The mid-level jet is so intense that all anyone should worry about is getting the precip shield overhead because once that happens it's going to crank.

Now its more realistic.

That's not quite right. If the NAM depiction verifies, someone is probably getting 24"+ right below the sharp gradient, where there is enhanced lift. The issu is that you don't know where that 24"+ is going to sit until, basically, real time.

I think that's more than 16-18 for the city... Around 2 qpf maybe pushing 2ft based on that run

Yea it seems to be an average of 20-22" according to the NAM.... reason for the drop is because the northern extent expanded to the North a good bit so the bands are not as heavy or more sporadic now on the current run.

Well one good thing... the cutoff is not as sharp to North... Lets hope that is the case because it will make everyone feel a little easier

We weren't expecting the NAM to show the crazy totals last night. What I take from this run is the surface low is still tucked into the coast and most importantly is the northern extent of the Precip shield. It is much further north and that's important. If it's right , anyone south of that would be ripping snow in intense deformation banding.

Stop worrying about QPF or snow maps. This run was much better for the Northern portion of the sub-forum and gives the city close to 20". The highest totals are always going to be very localized where the most intense banding sets up.

namconus_asnow_neus_29.png

It's good for everyone, north and south. It blows up the entire percip shield much larger then the globals have it. I dont really get it/buy it.

What's your basis for saying this?

You must be kidding me. Hugging the NAM to begin with is unwise ... and hugging it 48 hours in advance is even riskier. Especially when you have the GFS and Euro converging on a different solution. The NAM is just not all that reliable. Will it be right in this case? You never know. But it's unlikely.

Archived